A farwell to my alligator

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Set my alligator liizard free Sunday, thought you might enjoy the pictures of him kissing my goodbye!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
So long little guy, you made my Tokay Gecko look like a teddy bear!

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
LOL MizM...looks like a loveable little lizard. :rolleyes:

Bry

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now I have the urge to hum "Love Hurts."
Aw, hims gonna miss you So Much!
Or um, wil miss snacking on you. LOL.
He's a cutey.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
What were the conditions of capture/maintenance/release?

Cheers,
Dave

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My ex-jerk captured him, gave him to my son, who brought him home to me!:( I kept him for a couple of months, but he had a HUGE appetite, and was eating all of my T's crix! So, I took him out in the front yard, and you saw his gentle kiss goodbye, set him on the lawn and he went off into the sunset.

I have lots of creatures coming and going... I live across the street from a huge dry reservoir that leads to our local mountains. I walked around the corner of my garage one night and came face-to-face with a coyote. We both froze, looked surprised, then he bolted!

But I have a special fondness for alligator lizards, they are SO fierce!!!=D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Capture and release of this sort is a big no-no for reasons I will go into when I've slept.

Cheers,
Dave

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Capture and release of this sort is a big no-no for reasons I will go into when I've slept.

Cheers,
Dave
You'd have to tell my ex... he thinks nothing of shooting rabbits but not killing them... so he can hear them scream. I'd do the same to him, but it's illegal!:D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The capture side of things is his responsibility, but the release half of the equation was yours. There are basically two potential problems with capture/release.

1] Releasing the lizard into an area to which he is not native or in which there is a genetically distinct population. At best it reduces his chance of surviving and breeding. At worst, it results in some imbalance or in the dilution of genetic distinction between populations (not such an issue with just one specimen).

2] When you keep something in captivity, there is the chance that they will contract different diseases or build up a large concentration of a particular pathogenic organism. Plus, when you release them you may be aiding in the spread of some disease. This is a serious concern.

Cheers,
Dave

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Capture AND release were in the same spot, my lawn is right next to the reservoir where he was captured. He wasn'tintroduced to the "pet area"... I never let wild ones out of quarantine. Plus, alligator lizards are as plentiful here as rats in New York!=D At any rate, I did the best I could to prevent both points you outline, now, If I could just release my ex into the wild, we'd ALL be happy!!:D