Did she pass away?...

Kloster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This morning I woke up and found my B. Vagans upside down so I got very very excited and pretty nervous heh...

Anyways, this is my first molt and being so I have no idea what to expect. I thought she had "popped" her carapace but hasnt done that yet... shes just lying on her back, Its been id say around 20-30 mins since I last saw her and she hasnt flinched. Its possible that since I put a light to see her since shes burrowed in her hide that she stops moving when she feels the light.

How long does the process take?
Im really worried... I got her id say around 1 month or 2 ago and as soon as I got her in her new enclosure she went in her hide blockaded it, dug a hole and barely moved from there. She always had water, the substrate was bone dry. Temps went from 70 to 80 but stayed mostly at 75 and humidity was between 50%-60% Im starting to think that this couldve been the problem.

If the humidity for her is too low then what should I do?
I also keep 2 Lasiodora Parahybanas and theyre around the same humidity and temps. I was thinking to put the humidity up I could use a damp paper towel and just stick it to the side of the enclosure?

They all have bottle caps for water.
:8o :8o I hope shes fine!

DFox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The TKG recommends allowing I believe 4 hours until "surgery" should even be attempted. Give her some time, it sometimes takes quite awhile.

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't sweat it. This process takes a long time just don't bother her and she'll do her stuff.

Kloster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies guys, I was starting to feel really bummed out (who wouldve thought that these little spiders would make a person feel like this).

Would misting her enclosure now help at all? Or just stress her further?

DFox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies guys, I was starting to feel really bummed out (who wouldve thought that these little spiders would make a person feel like this).

Would misting her enclosure now help at all? Or just stress her further?
Yeah misting doesn't do a whole lot of good because the small dispersed droplets evaporate quickly. Misting usually results in just spiking the humidity for a very short period. The best way to keep humidity up is keeping the substrate moist (but not soaking) and limiting ventilation. I'd say pour a little bit of water into the substrate as far away from where the spider is as possible and keep the lid on. If she's in some type of KK with a lot of little ventilation holes, try covering half of them with plastic wrap or tape or something temporarily.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
just relax... i think my 1" sling needed about 1h and half to do that so don't freak out!! Just w8 and enjoy that miracle of nature come out :p

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big is she? I've seen adult grammy take 12 hours or more to molt. All you can really do now is wait and see what happens.

infestedtwinkie

Arachnopeon
Don't mist. Molting has to do with internal moisture and not external. Misting now wont do anything to help the process. All you can do is sit and wait. How big is your B. Vagans ?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Misting her onclosure won't help. It's internal hydration that matters now.

How big is this vagans? Sling/juvie/adult?

In any case, it's common for them to lie on their back twitching their feet for hours before the carapace pops. Once that's happened though it's usually done in another hour or two.

Kloster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats the thing... I dont see her twitching like I have in the other molting videos ive seen.

I guess ill just have to wait and see.

She is id say around 2.5-3.5''.

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i don't recommend misting during molting process
if you do it wrong your T might get irritated and rush things over
resulting to bad molt or missing limbs

dont touch her and the tank
just sit and wait or do your daily routine :razz:

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't disturb her, including misting, at all. Any added humidity to the enclosure will be marginally beneficial and you run the risk of startling her.

The process can take quite a bit of time with long periods of inactivity. Don't worry too much. Just observe and if you need help post back and we'll help wherever possible.

Ts don't actually go through the convulsive twitching you see in some molting vids. This is because those videos are time lapsed. What you will see is slight movements over time with long periods of inactivity while it rests for the next 'push'.

Last edited:

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, I was wrong here. Meh..

Can't remember where I heard that, the mist the cage when they're molting thing. Gah, luckily my T's came out right when I did it.

:wall:

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it does look werid when they molt sometimes you think they exploded... but yeah misting the cage can help so yea

GrammatonCleric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Grammy took around 7 hours total to molt the other night. He was on his back at 7pm and wasn't fully done until 2am.