Why woln't my sling eat?

sjeckert6297

Arachnopeon
I got a 3/8ish inch B. smithi sling Tuesday afternoon. It is now Thursday morning. Tuesday night I put a crix leg in, the sling didn't eat it. Last night I put in the back 1/2 of a med-lrg size crix, still didn't eat. Do I need to try a 1/4 crix? The only other things avaliable to me are mealworms and waxworms. The seller told me that the sling molted a few weeks ago and that it should be hungry. Belly is nice and round still and there are no signs of darkening that I can see. But I've never had a sling so I have no idea how quickly they can change. Should I wait a few days before I try to feed again? Should I get a different type of food, like the waxworms or mealworms? I could probably get earthworms from the bait store too. I am pretty limited here as to what I can get to feed. I'm getting a little nervous, so any help would be great!

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not a big expert on slings. I've only had two, but it sounds like you just need to give it some time to get acclimated to its new surroundings. I would give it at least a week before I got too worried.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your sling isn't going to starve to death in 2 days or a week or 2 weeks or even a month. Slings that small will only take a couple of meals between molts anyway. I have 2 1/2" B smithi slings and they're not exactly what you'd call ravenous but then again, the tiniest roach nymphs I can dig up are huge feasts for them.

Don't worry, try again next week. Let the sling get settled.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First - I'll assume you've got it set up properly? Temperature, hunidity, etc.? If it's not comfortable it's less likely to eat.

Second - If you only got it on Tuesday and you've tried three times already to feed it - I'd suggest you stop and give it a chance to get used to its new surroundings. Let it explore and settle in for at least a few days before feeding it.

Third - don't necessarily believe what the seller tells you, especially if it comes from a local pet shop. They'll tell you anything that sounds good and convinces you that the tarantula is doing well. (If you bought it from a breeder with a good reputation - that's different.)

I've got a B. smithi. It's generally a very good feeder - but it shuts down welll in advance of a molt. And when I first acquired it it didn't eat for at least a week or two. As long as the spider looks healthy, don't worry. Make sure it's properly caged and given some peace and quiet for a few days, then offer it food again. If you can get a small enough cricket, offer it a live one at first. The movement might stimulate it.

Agent Jones

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Let it settle and figure out what the heck is going on first. 2 days is really soon. Try again next Tuesday.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If the sling looks round and healthy (like you said it did) then I wouldn't worry, give it time to settle in and it will start eating.

sjeckert6297

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the advice. I did get it from a reputable breeder, Adam at Tarantulacages.com. (He's been great by the way.) Keeping the sling in a 1inch dia. pill bottle w/ lid and holes on a coco fiber strate humidity 60ish% and the temp around 75-77. I am going to wait a few days beofre trying to feed again. In the meantime I will keep my eye on it and make sure 1 spot is a little wet so it can drink. Does this sound good? Does anyone see anywhere that I need to improve?

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep lots of slings I curently have around thirty and I always allow them a week to settle in preferably in an area where they will not be disturbed after that time I feed and watter the little guys usaly dispers water via a eye droper I leave little droplets on the wall the sling will drink from these. just give your sling some time to get used to its new enviroment and then try to feed it and let it get accustomed to you.

Jerm357

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just received a B. smithi sling from Adam at Tarantulacages.com on Tuesday also. I have mine in a 2"W x 3"D vile filled half way with coco fiber and a 1 " deep hole I poked at the side of the vile with a pencil for a starter burrow. He loves the hole and hides in it when ever he is spooked. I got some 1 week old crickets online for food. I tried to feed yesterday with no luck. I put the cricket in for 3 hours and he did not go for it so I removed it. Today I tried again and he ate one right up.

So if I were you I would get a hold of some very small crickets and give that a try. I think maybe the food you are offering my not be to his liking, but you could give it a few more days and see what happends.

Does yours have a little black spot on his abdomen? Mine was a freebe with a purchase of a G. pulchra and was listed as a 1/4" but the one he sent me is closer to 1/2" with a black spot abdomen.

Last edited:

sjeckert6297

Arachnopeon
I just received a B. smithi sling from Adam at Tarantulacages.com on Tuesday also. I have mine in a 2"W x 3"D vile filled half way with coco fiber and a 1 " deep hole I poked at the side of the vile with a pencil for a starter burrow. He loves the hole and hides in it when ever he is spooked. I got some 1 week old crickets online for food. I tried to feed yesterday with no luck. I put the cricket in for 3 hours and he did not go for it so I removed it. Today I tried again and he ate one right up.

So if I were you I would get a hold of some very small crickets and give that a try. I think maybe the food you are offering my not be to his liking, but you could give it a few more days and see what happends.

Does yours have a little black spot on his abdomen? Mine was a freebe with a purchase of a G. pulchra and was listed as a 1/4" but the one he sent me is closer to 1/2" with a black spot abdomen.
Yeah mine has a little black spot too and also almost 1/2 inch. I wanted to get the G. pulchra but I've never had a sling so I just got 1 to start with. The smallest crix I can get here are a little bigger than my sling.... bought some meal worms today. I think I am going to wait a day or 2 and then cut one of those into a small peice to offer. I'm going to make a ittle burrow like you, it's a good idea. Let me know how things are going there, it will be neat to see if they molt at the same time.....thanx for the advice.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got a 1.5" B. smithi from adam and just love the little guy. I have been feeding mine small crickets and he just goes right for them. I also got a .75" versi sling from him and it takes pretty well to the 1/2 crickets I put in there.