To Mist Or Not To Mist

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im sure something like this has been posted before but Im wondering what you all think about misting your Ts enclosures.Ive read by some experts who dont believe in it at all,so I dont do it.I know that the benefits of misting will only last a short time,But I see where lots of people still recommend it..What do you all think.........Thanks...Rich

NightCrawler

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I mist once in a while but only when the terrariums seem to dry, and that's maybe only a couple of times a month. But the first month I dad t's I misted a couple of times a week but found out that they do fine without misting so often.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I find my aboreal Pink toe enjoys misting because it can "lick" of the glass the moisture. I also mist My G rosea Chaoticly to simulate a light Rain it seems to enjoy the dampend ground afterwords and also hunts more activly after this 'rain' but mostly for my G rosea to maintain proper humidity and a place to drink its a slightly overfulled waterdish

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
This is another one of those topics that is going to generate alot of different opinions.

I'm of the belief that it really depends on what you're misting for. If it's to up the humidity, it's not worth it at all. Unless you have the enclosure ventilation retarded to where it would be a danger for the T, the humidity increase isn't gonna last long enough for you to put the lid on and the mister away. A standing water source will always be better for regulating humidity in an enclosure than misting.

If you're misting enough to wet down the substrate, it would be easier to just pour water into a corner of the substrate

If you're misting to simulate a natural drinking source for your pet, that's fine. Your best bet is to do it in the early hours of the morning when dew would form in nature.

Scott

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It also depends on your individual T's preferences. I know that my G.rosea wouldn't thank me for misting it's tank. She likes it as dry as a bone.