My Avic "Peru Purple" lost a leg to plastic plants

rejected1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've heard of Ts losing a leg or two when they get stuck on screen tops or anything like that.
That day I saw my little avic baby (about 1 inch) gets its leg stuck on plastic plants :? I attached on the sides of the wall and it can't move so I resolve to destroying the webs and help it. And moments later, I found a leg on the substrate. I was shocked!!
It doesn't seem to be bothered by the lost of a leg but it suddenly became more nervous and scared (used to crawl all over the vial but now just scurry away under its web). Will it affect my avic? I put 1/2 a mealworm on the webbings and I think it only ate a little. :wall:
Should I remove the plastic plants? tried putting cork bark but it molds.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It will grow back in the next few molts :) and if it is getting stuck i'd take it out and put cork bark in.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A number of people on the boards have raised concerns about plastic plants for just this reason. I don't know that I'd go so far as to say plastic plants are always bad, but clearly these particular plants and that T are a bad combination, so yes, I'd say you should probably remove them.

As for the leg, no worries. It will regenerate soon. Since it's just a little sling the process will be especially fast since they molt frequently at that size.

Last edited: