Looking for information on keeping earwigs.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I've become fascinated with Dermaptera and have been planning on keeping some earwigs of my own. Do they need any specialized care requirements? And can I keep more than one in the same container?

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Keep them just like roaches, except that you have to have substrate of some sort (not an option like with roaches). They eat just about anything it seems, and you will have more than you know what to do with.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep them just like roaches, except that you have to have substrate of some sort (not an option like with roaches). They eat just about anything it seems, and you will have more than you know what to do with.
Nice! What kind of substrate?

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Whatever works for you. I have had them thrive in both Eco-earth and Cypress mulch, and a mix of both plus a little sphagnum moss mixed in. Once you get them going you cannot stop them. I ultimately tossed them all into a fire- substrate and all.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah they're another "pest" species. In my garden they even eat what they aren't supposed to eat and their favorite plant to munch can change yearly.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah they're another "pest" species. In my garden they even eat what they aren't supposed to eat and their favorite plant to munch can change yearly.
Well from what I've learned, earwigs will eat anything. I also hear they're more of a pest out on the West coast as opposed to here in the East.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think they most reproduce better in a humid environment. While gardening or digging for other bugs you can find them in large balls of individuals buried slightly beneath the ground. I don't know if this is communal activity or breeding activity though.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think they most reproduce better in a humid environment. While gardening or digging for other bugs you can find them in large balls of individuals buried slightly beneath the ground. I don't know if this is communal activity or breeding activity though.
Sure it's not babies with their momma? She looks after the young.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It is highly possible, but I've seen them balled up in large numbers of what I thought were adults in dry soil. Maybe a humidity thing?

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is highly possible, but I've seen them balled up in large numbers of what I thought were adults in dry soil. Maybe a humidity thing?
that would make sense. i dont think they're incredibly gregarious with each other