HELP! No experience!

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I got a freebie pede from a guy I bought a T from.

I didn't know the freebie was a pede at all. Its measures 6 inches and it is currently under an upside down KK because I don't know how to properly handle it when It came out of its packaging.

I'm already looking at caresheets. Seems easy enough, but the handling part sorta bugs me.

I Id'ed it to be a

Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes

Last edited:

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
that's easy... don't handle it:D it'll probably bite you ant that would hurt:}

got any long tweezers? forceps?.........a stick?

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they're pretty cool though:drool: if a bit scary:eek:

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that's easy... don't handle it:D it'll probably bite you ant that would hurt:}

got any long tweezers? forceps?.........a stick?
I don't know If my tweezers are long enough for it not to turn around and bite me.

I got it on a cardboard and placed it in a container with substrate in it.

I did 4 tries until I got it in, they're scary :(

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
try holding a cricket with your tweezers in front of it... you can play tug-of-war:eek:

zwd22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't own a pede, but i heard they can squeeze through just about any crack, so I wouldn't use a KK if i were you.

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't own a pede, but i heard they can squeeze through just about any crack, so I wouldn't use a KK if i were you.
I'm taping the holes right now. :)

I don't have any other containers at the moment.

The packaging it came in is too small.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i haven't heard of any human fatalities from a pede bite but someone with more experience may chime in later.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Please do a search on here, there is a TON of great info on this species... please take people "chiming in" with a grain of salt. ;)

There is one controversial human death attributed to subspinipes, a little girl in the Phillipines, but the death is thought to have been aggravated by other factors... it's pretty well established that a healthy human adult has nothing to worry about fatality-wise. Cacoseraph has had lots of posts on here detailing many (intentional) centipede bites.

Other than than... get a container that has smooth sides, is taller than the pede is long, kep a water bowl in on end that you overflow to make a large-ish damp spot, and something to hide under on the other end. Oh, and a locking lid. You're done. :)

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thanks, i didn't think there was going to be much on subspinipes fatalities but i didn't want to make an unsubstantiated claim to it.

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Please do a search on here, there is a TON of great info on this species... please take people "chiming in" with a grain of salt. ;)

There is one controversial human death attributed to subspinipes, a little girl in the Phillipines, but the death is thought to have been aggravated by other factors... it's pretty well established that a healthy human adult has nothing to worry about fatality-wise. Cacoseraph has had lots of posts on here detailing many (intentional) centipede bites.

Other than than... get a container that has smooth sides, is taller than the pede is long, kep a water bowl in on end that you overflow to make a large-ish damp spot, and something to hide under on the other end. Oh, and a locking lid. You're done. :)
Thanks Mr. Internet:D

and thank you experts!:worship: