Venomous Snake Fans

truthsdeceit

Arachnopeon
Oh yeah, he's cool. I stumbled upon him myself a while back. Had to stop watching though cause I was loving all his stuff {D , and I promised myself.... no HOT snakes ever!!!! :wall:

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
haha but the cobras are so cute!! and i love that gabby i couldnt tell but she looked like she has lavender colors? i wish there was a species that has a fan head like cobras !!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
haha but the cobras are so cute!! and i love that gabby i couldnt tell but she looked like she has lavender colors? i wish there was a species that has a fan head like cobras !!
You mean you wish there was a non-venomous species that has a hood like a Cobra? There are actually several. All of the Hognose Snakes in the genus Heterodon and Leioheterodon have hoods that they spread when they feel threatened, although most become tame so quickly that they stop doing this. Eastern Hognoses that we have actually have a really impressive hood, but these are difficult snakes to keep unless you have a steady, year-round supply of toads, as they can be really tough to switch over to rodents. Technically, all of the Hognoses ARE venomous, but they are rear-fanged, and the venom of most is of little if any consequence to humans. I don't even think you could make an Eastern Hognose bite unless you rubbed toad scent all over you! False Water Cobras(Hydronastes gigas) also have a hood, hence the name, and these snakes will eat ANYTHING! They get very large, too, and heavy-bodied, but their feeding response is rivaled only by certain sharks and crocodiles! They absolutely live to eat! On the down-side, they have a fast metabolism, and as a result, they're messy snakes, like Cribos and Coachwhips.

pitbulllady

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Holding

I love watching people hold the hot stuff. I would never hold one just cause the thought of getting bit.

andy375hh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He is a real interesting person to watch I always watch his videos

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You mean you wish there was a non-venomous species that has a hood like a Cobra? There are actually several. All of the Hognose Snakes in the genus Heterodon and Leioheterodon have hoods that they spread when they feel threatened, although most become tame so quickly that they stop doing this. Eastern Hognoses that we have actually have a really impressive hood, but these are difficult snakes to keep unless you have a steady, year-round supply of toads, as they can be really tough to switch over to rodents. Technically, all of the Hognoses ARE venomous, but they are rear-fanged, and the venom of most is of little if any consequence to humans. I don't even think you could make an Eastern Hognose bite unless you rubbed toad scent all over you! False Water Cobras(Hydronastes gigas) also have a hood, hence the name, and these snakes will eat ANYTHING! They get very large, too, and heavy-bodied, but their feeding response is rivaled only by certain sharks and crocodiles! They absolutely live to eat! On the down-side, they have a fast metabolism, and as a result, they're messy snakes, like Cribos and Coachwhips.

pitbulllady
Woah thanks so much for your input i had no idea , just started getting into snakes last year so im really really new with them. I know the breeder i got my kingsnake from has and been trying to breed hognose i think one of the babies was on hold due to not feeding though. Really interesting im going to look into these species! Thanks so much for your input!!

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Seems like a really cool guy!

However, It always makes me sad to see some of the most amazing reptiles on the planet stuffed into rubbermaid containers. In ancient times some of those reptiles were worshiped or revered as gods (or still are depending where you are talking about). Now they sit sadly in a rubbermaid container with no habitat etc. Just some newspaper a water dish and maybe some where to hide.

It just seems pretty sad to me. I think any powerful animal if it is a tiger,croc, dangerously venomous arachnid, tiger snake etc.. deserves some kind of respect.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

pitbulllady
none of those snakes have a true hood like a cobra though, and dont really raise up like a cobra.

By the way, western hoggies are GREAT pets. You should have mentioned those :)

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh Those snakes are awesome looking , id really like one in the future! How are they as pets?
nowhere near as nippy as people make them out to be. just handle them regularly, keep the humidity up, and they're fine.

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice im not so worried about nippy its what u get sometimes i guess considering they still are little animals.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Seems like a really cool guy!

However, It always makes me sad to see some of the most amazing reptiles on the planet stuffed into rubbermaid containers. In ancient times some of those reptiles were worshiped or revered as gods (or still are depending where you are talking about). Now they sit sadly in a rubbermaid container with no habitat etc. Just some newspaper a water dish and maybe some where to hide.

It just seems pretty sad to me. I think any powerful animal if it is a tiger,croc, dangerously venomous arachnid, tiger snake etc.. deserves some kind of respect.
So I guess you don't keep any pets, then?

Would seeing them turned into belts, shoes, or hokey medicines be better for you?

:wall: :rolleyes:

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I guess you don't keep any pets, then?

Would seeing them turned into belts, shoes, or hokey medicines be better for you?

:wall: :rolleyes:
hahaha, obviously. But if one is going to have a venomous snake as a pet why not at least give them a really cool habitat?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nice im not so worried about nippy its what u get sometimes i guess considering they still are little animals.
Mine has never nipped in the two months that I've had him so far. He only puffs a little when he has to be restrained for any reason. He much more prefers to chill on the top of my head {D

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hahaha, obviously. But if one is going to have a venomous snake as a pet why not at least give them a really cool habitat?
That logic could be applied to ANY animal.

Your definition of "cool" is not always the same for others, nor is it practical in many cases. When dealing with venomous snakes, having an aesthetically pleasing display cage is not as important as having a safe, effective enclosure for the animals.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That logic could be applied to ANY animal.

Your definition of "cool" is not always the same for others, nor is it practical in many cases. When dealing with venomous snakes, having an aesthetically pleasing display cage is not as important as having a safe, effective enclosure for the animals.
Why not? Is it not possible to combine the two? What about natural set-ups in big tanks that replicate the animal's natural environment as much as possible? That would be aesthetically pleasing as well as safe and effective, no?

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its simply not feasible for many keepers, especially those with more than a few animals.

The facts are that they do perfectly fine in rubbermaid containers. Just because your anthropomorphic tendencies are against it, doesn't invalidate what other people do.