Pics from recent South African Trip (DUW 40 photos)

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are some pics from my trip last Feb. Enjoy. Sorry to all those with slow internet connections/computers.

kalvaer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whats the name of the second last grass hopper?

I recognise them all to well. I learnt the hard way about 25 years ago from those, that brightly coloured insects are (usually) poisonous. I fed one to my pet bushbaby... Unfortunately, it spat a green fluid into the BB's mouth and it died within 24 hours. Not the nicest part I remember from being a kid, but lesson well learnt

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: wow awesome pics! thanks for sharing, i love that predatory kadydid and ofcourse that ground beetle! ahhh i loved them all.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whats the name of the second last grass hopper?

I recognise them all to well. I learnt the hard way about 25 years ago from those, that brightly coloured insects are (usually) poisonous. I fed one to my pet bushbaby... Unfortunately, it spat a green fluid into the BB's mouth and it died within 24 hours. Not the nicest part I remember from being a kid, but lesson well learnt
The second to last is a Pyrgamorphid (Pyrgamorphidae). The red and black Pyrgamorphs we found would "ooze" out a yellow substance when disturbed. Not something you want to throw in your mouth. (Although not many bugs provide me with an overwhelming desire to consume them).

kalvaer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The second to last is a Pyrgamorphid (Pyrgamorphidae). The red and black Pyrgamorphs we found would "ooze" out a yellow substance when disturbed. Not something you want to throw in your mouth. (Although not many bugs provide me with an overwhelming desire to consume them).
They red and black are the 3rd and 4th photo's right? The seemed to have the same features... to me at least as the 2nd to last.

Totally agree with the "no desire to consume" them. Wish I had known that as a kid before feeding my bush baby :eek:

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They red and black are the 3rd and 4th photo's right? The seemed to have the same features... to me at least as the 2nd to last.

Totally agree with the "no desire to consume" them. Wish I had known that as a kid before feeding my bush baby :eek:
Yes the 3rd and 4th photos as well as the 2nd to last and the 7th from the bottom of the first post are all from that family.