Nematode Work

Kuronishen

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I suppose this is kind of a weird way to start a first post, but here goes:

I have read quite a few threads about the problem of nematodes affecting tarantulas. This is of particular interest to me because I work in a laboratory at UC Davis that deals specifically with nematodes (I guess "technically" Ts aren't insects, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the entomopathogenic nematodes we work with have similar behavior patterns). A couple of graduate students I work with are interested as well, and we would love to ID the actual species affecting the T, their cycle, etc. so that we can get more info out there about how to stop nemas from infecting your T, or *crosses fingers* an actual cure.

If you have an infected T that unfortunately didn't make it, we would love to study it. Post your thoughts, and we hope to make a decent contribution to the T lovers' society :)

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You might take a look at: Pizzi, R., Carta, L., George, S. 2003. Oral nematode infection of tarantulas. The Veterinary Record 152(22): 695.

They say the nematodes are members of the family Panagrolaimidae.

Also take a look at Invertebrate Medicine (Gregory Lewbart, 2004: 157-158).

You'll likely find other recent research on the problem.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is great! You might look at what RIESM has done up to this point. They did a lot of work with us hobbyists in the past, perhaps their research could help you in yours.

Kuronishen

Arachnopeon
Excellent. My work mostly deals with S. riobrave but I am definitely interested in this as well. If anyone wishes to contribute a poor t who didn't make it, we would love to be able to look at the little buggers more closely.

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been giving this some thought, and if the nematodes infecting tarantulas are all the same species, then could we possibly be looking at a young (in evolutionary terms) host/parasite relationship?

As time goes on, then maybe the host and parasite will be better able to co-exist and either the spiders will not be overwhelmed by the nematodes and their larvae and die, or the spiders will be able to restrict or reduce entry of the nematodes into their systems.

I wonder whether they are actually parasitizing the spider, or are the sheer numbers overwhelming it, and making it unable to feed? A spider's gut is fairly short, and would fill up easily I would think given the numbers of nematodes seen in these infections.

It's certainly a fascinating subject anyway, and it will be interesting to see what your research comes up with :)

Kuronishen

Arachnopeon
As time goes on, then maybe the host and parasite will be better able to co-exist and either the spiders will not be overwhelmed by the nematodes and their larvae and die, or the spiders will be able to restrict or reduce entry of the nematodes into their systems.

I wonder whether they are actually parasitizing the spider, or are the sheer numbers overwhelming it, and making it unable to feed? A spider's gut is fairly short, and would fill up easily I would think given the numbers of nematodes seen in these infections.
Unfortunately, nemas are very good at what they do, and even organisms routinely targeted by nemas can still be infected easily if infective juveniles are in large enough amounts. The evidence of bacteria in the spider seems to indicate that the nemas are actually colonizing it, unless of course the bacteria appears after the spider is dead. Naturally, I am pretty sure that the physical presence of the nemas filling up the spider's gut hurts it as well as the bacterial infection :(

As for nematode amount vs. gut length, we infect waxworms routinely to keep our nematode stock cultures regulated, and several hundred to a few thousand juveniles emerging from the worm's body is not an uncommon sight.

Right now I'm wondering what the point of entry is for the IJs. Generally speaking, the point of entry in insects is the mouth, anus, or spiracles; I'm curious whether the infection source is via ingestion through infected food or through the book lungs/anus via the soil.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have been giving this some thought, and if the nematodes infecting tarantulas are all the same species, then could we possibly be looking at a young (in evolutionary terms) host/parasite relationship?

It's certainly a fascinating subject anyway, and it will be interesting to see what your research comes up with :)
The problem is we have found nematodes in more areas than just the gut. In fact they have been found in every orifice tarantulas possess. So we cannot be absolutely sure that tarantulas are getting nematodes from crickets alone. They could just as easily be getting nematodes from soils as a substrate. There also evidence to suggest that tarantulas could be getting nematodes from phorrid flies. The common consensus is that crickets are the vectors for nematodes.

Kuronishen

Arachnopeon
That makes sense. Since nemas can hit therespiratory openings as well, they could colonize in the book lungs as well. The infection via the anus also supports a substrate-based theory.