ID Please. Brown Recluse????

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Found this guy on the wall in my bedroom. It has the proper eye setup for a Brown Recluse but I could not get a good pic of it. What's your opinion? Thanks for looking.

David

Last edited:

Kuronishen

Arachnopeon
Pending where you live, i would give that a tenative yes as a recluse. Only other thing I could think of it being is a L. deserta, but it seems too dark imo. I see L. deserta frequently as a CA resident, but since reclusa isn't established here, I haven't seen any around *whew*

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's probably not L. reclusa, which is not native to California.

If you think it might be Loxosceles, though, L. deserta is found in California.

Here's a good page on the subject:

http://spiders.ucr.edu/myth.html

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That sunkin abdomen screams male kuk ...but from what I gather im seeing with the eyes and the fact that it doesnt have those crazy male kuk palps ...it does look like you have a male Loxosceles. You say you see 3 pairs of eyes?

Its at the end of its run ..so to speak. But, try feeding it a small, soft n'disabled but wriggling feeder ..cricket or roach and maybe it will recover.

Pending where you live, i would give that a tenative yes as a recluse. Only other thing I could think of it being is a L. deserta, but it seems too dark imo. I see L. deserta frequently as a CA resident, but since reclusa isn't established here, I haven't seen any around *whew*
US sp Loxosceles ALL look pretty much the same AND there are plenty of variants regarding size, color and marking opacity within any given specie.

If this specimen is a "recluse" it will most likely be L.deserta, L.sabina, or L.arizonica though I suppose there is some chance it being one or two other species.. You will not be able to ID it visually, though with the male you could eliminate the possibilities of it being L.reclusa, L.martha, L.devia, L.kaiba, and L.laeta using leg length. Male L.deserta/apachea/arizonica have a length formula of 2413 (2nd leg longest..so on). The others mentioned have either 4213 or 2143. L.sabina male leg formula has not been described (probably has...my source says not).

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the info guys. I was waiting for the pros. My thought was L. deserta. It does have the proper eye sets. Anyways, I guess the only way to really tell is to let it bite me :wall: If anybody else wants to chime in, feel free. By the way, I do my own research. But I enjoy hearing the true facts from people on this forum. Thanks Again.

David

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess the only way to really tell is to let it bite me
That probably wouldnt tell you jacksquat, besides it wont bite you. ;)
Six eyes ..out this way West ...gonna be a spitter or "recluse" and that aint no spitting spider. ;)

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know. I was just clowning around. Spiders are not my thing, and I never "intend" to be bit by one. I enjoy all the animal species out here as it is so diverse. The desert is a lovely place. I just like to have knowledge about the critters in my AO.

David

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool, here are a couple of recluse spiders I found in my house, one I found yesterday on the wall ...just something to compare it to. Like was said, that one must be L. deserta, looks diff and going by location.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice!! Ever interested in trade or whatnot?
BTW...may i ask? ... what part of the planet Texas do u reside?

:cool:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're interested in these?, you can have them if you want, I'll hold on to them. Just send a PM later if you do. I live in Cedar Park, It's practically north Austin. I plan on going to Bryan this weekend. I found several on a ranch there under bark on dead trees, I'm going to try and look for more if I get the time. Could be my imagination but it seemed like they were a little bigger and darker in e tx. A raccoon was just now trying to get a couple of turtles i have in the backyard:mad: !

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're interested in these?, you can have them if you want, I'll hold on to them. Just send a PM later if you do. I live in Cedar Park, It's practically north Austin. I plan on going to Bryan this weekend. I found several on a ranch there under bark on dead trees, I'm going to try and look for more if I get the time. Could be my imagination but it seemed like they were a little bigger and darker in e tx. A raccoon was just now trying to get a couple of turtles i have in the backyard:mad: !
oh yes! PM on yer way.