anyone else ever been wrong????

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
here goes. . .i was convinced my larger G.rosea was femle, after comparing her molts and epiandrous fusillae to countless photos of other G.rosea thought to be female in the sexing gallery. . . overnite my beautiful "female" molted out into a definite male with swollen palps and tibial spurs. . .i am gutted as i have only had that particular T for bout a month at most. . .has anyone else been so sure of the sex of their T's just to be proved wrong with a molt?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yup. My A geniculate fooled me like that. I never tried sexing an exuvia though as the first molt in my care was his maturation.

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Etown how can u tell if a geniculata is M or F? i have one at 5.5inch, have posted pics of the EF, have been tols its female, so it cud actually be a male? i really hope its female, dont want another disappointment like with my G.rosea

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Genic's have the same basic indications as other tarantulas. The one I had just didn't seem to indicate strongly one way or the other. There wasn't a prominent dark spot above the epigastric furrow and the furrow looked full and pouty. It seemed female from an initial visual inspection.

Genics do have tibial spurs although they are rather smaller than most. The mature males are very leggy however and strongly exhibit the typical scrawny, gangly look of males.

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Genic's have the same basic indications as other tarantulas. The one I had just didn't seem to indicate strongly one way or the other. There wasn't a prominent dark spot above the epigastric furrow and the furrow looked full and pouty. It seemed female from an initial visual inspection.

Genics do have tibial spurs although they are rather smaller than most. The mature males are very leggy however and strongly exhibit the typical scrawny, gangly look of males.
mine does apear to have a dark patch above the epigastric furrow, i have posted a sexing link. . . here is the link. . .the pic is slightly blurry tho as my hand wasnt that steady, plz give me your opinion? thanks . . http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/showimage.php?i=12569&c=9

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is the T you're talking about that turned out male?

The furrow looks female to me but there are long, dark hairs above it which suggest male. I'm not the best at sexing ventrally though so... I guess I can add this to my "file".

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i do want to point out that it is ok to be wrong when u are sexing ventrally because that method is ussually not 100% and the best way to tell a male from female is to examine the molt under a microscope if ur T hasnt torn it up (like my little G. aureostriata always does). ive submitted pics for sexing before and gotten 50/50 responses on whether its male or female

There is no true method of just looking at a T and telling if it is male of female, at least not one that is 100%. There can be immature males that look fat and bulky like a female, and conversely ive had a female who was gangly and had very long legs but she bred just fine after i confirmed she was a female from the molt.

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is the T you're talking about that turned out male?

The furrow looks female to me but there are long, dark hairs above it which suggest male. I'm not the best at sexing ventrally though so... I guess I can add this to my "file".
nope. . .the pic link i submitted is of my A.geniculata. . .5.5 inch. . .have been told she is fem but want to be hundred percent certain. . . my G.rosea turned out to be male . . .n thanks for your opinion . . i guess i will have to wait lol

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Funny you should ask this question . . .

I thought I was wrong once, but it turns out I was mistaken!
;)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
nope. . .the pic link i submitted is of my A.geniculata. . .5.5 inch. . .have been told she is fem but want to be hundred percent certain. . . my G.rosea turned out to be male . . .n thanks for your opinion . . i guess i will have to wait lol

Gotcha. I think female but like I said, i'm not that great at sexing.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wouldnt have been able to sleep tonite if I hadnt of thrown that in . . . !!!
:rolleyes: