Rosea not popping

upwith inverts!

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bred my G. Rosea on November 23, and she still hasn't popped.:confused: I read that it usually takes 3 months, and it's been 4. After the breeding attempt, I did an equal situation comparrison between the rosea I bred, and a rosea I didn't breed. I fed the non-bred one a cricket for every cricket I fed the bred one, (all accepted every cricket) and the one I breds abdomen went from roughly the same size as the non-bred's abdomen, to about 1.5 to 2 times the non-bred one's abdomen. I just gave the bred one a low watt heat lamp to try and speed up it's metabolism. What does everyone else think?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I bred my G. Rosea on November 23, and she still hasn't popped.:confused: I read that it usually takes 3 months, and it's been 4. After the breeding attempt, I did an equal situation comparrison between the rosea I bred, and a rosea I didn't breed. I fed the non-bred one a cricket for every cricket I fed the bred one, (all accepted every cricket) and the one I breds abdomen went from roughly the same size as the non-bred's abdomen, to about 1.5 to 2 times the non-bred one's abdomen. I just gave the bred one a low watt heat lamp to try and speed up it's metabolism. What does everyone else think?
if she hasnt popped in a year then be concerned

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just breeding a tarantula doesn't mean you're going to get a sac. Also, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few YEARS for a tarantula to make a sac. I've heard people say "not to give up hope until she molts". 3-4 months is an absolutely arbitrary number.

A heat lamp probably won't encourage her to drop a sac - the general consensus is that many species need a COOLING period.

Your spider could have gained girth because she's due to molt or has a slower metabolism, or maybe she is carrying eggs. Your experiment (comparing the bred rosie to the not-bred rosie) really has too many variables.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Estimated lay times depend on the conditions you keep them in. If you keep your Ts cooler than normal the period will be longer.

I've read in a few places that a slight change in conditions, like a rise in temperatures, can encourage a girl to drop a sac too.

Good luck with the sac. :)

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lol. Just noticed that I didn't hit submit on my last message and you got in before me.

Anyway, I've heard it go both ways depending on species in regards to using temps to encourage a sac drop.

Just breeding a tarantula doesn't mean you're going to get a sac. Also, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few YEARS for a tarantula to make a sac. I've heard people say "not to give up hope until she molts". 3-4 months is an absolutely arbitrary number.

A heat lamp probably won't encourage her to drop a sac - the general consensus is that many species need a COOLING period.

Your spider could have gained girth because she's due to molt or has a slower metabolism, or maybe she is carrying eggs. Your experiment (comparing the bred rosie to the not-bred rosie) really has too many variables.