B smithi question

trippdogg

Arachnopeon
I just bought a B smithi about 1 inch and have never got one this small before. It has be sitting in a corner not moving much not sure if that is normal since it is so small. I did feed it about 2 small crickets which I think it ate since they are not there…..so is that normal or is it still trying to get use to its new home. I have it in a small container with coconut fiber and a place to hide with a small bottle cap as a water dish. I don’t want it to die since I just got it and paid $60 for it so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Agent Jones

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds good :) Ts don't normally run laps or anything. He'll probably do some exploring when the lights are out. If he took food, that's very good. Brachys like it dry, so make sure your substrate isn't soaked or anything.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It will be fine. Just let it get used to the new enclosure.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
just wait till it gets over 6 inches and and stays sealed in its burrow for 6 months.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just bought a B smithi about 1 inch and have never got one this small before. It has be sitting in a corner not moving much not sure if that is normal since it is so small. I did feed it about 2 small crickets which I think it ate since they are not there…..so is that normal or is it still trying to get use to its new home. I have it in a small container with coconut fiber and a place to hide with a small bottle cap as a water dish. I don’t want it to die since I just got it and paid $60 for it so any suggestions would be appreciated.
How big is the enclosure? The crickets may have gotten away from the sling if the enclosure is too big/ full of hiding places. They may be dead now, or just hiding.

How long have you had the sling? The settling in period is different from spider to spider, so it is possible it is not settled. Especially if you haven't had it more than a month or two.

Get rid of the water dish until it is 2-2.5", then that water dish will be perfect. The substrate needs to be moistened in a corner(not soggy), because they drink from it at that size. Adult B. smithi's like it arid, but slings don't have the cuticle yet to retain moisture.

trippdogg

Arachnopeon
How big is the enclosure? The crickets may have gotten away from the sling if the enclosure is too big/ full of hiding places. They may be dead now, or just hiding.

How long have you had the sling? The settling in period is different from spider to spider, so it is possible it is not settled. Especially if you haven't had it more than a month or two.

Get rid of the water dish until it is 2-2.5", then that water dish will be perfect. The substrate needs to be moistened in a corner(not soggy), because they drink from it at that size. Adult B. smithi's like it arid, but slings don't have the cuticle yet to retain moisture.
the encloure is not that big at all maybe 6-7 inches wide and had it only for about 1 week but it is doing better now since I changed out the substrate so it is dryer

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
is that what yours did because that would suck I thought this type would be out in the open more
Oh yeah she is out in the open about 6 months out of the year, in fact she wont even typically use her burrow at all during the time of year she is out.