Good deal for a A. Bicoloratum? + Request for info...

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I just got a 3" A. Bicoloratum (Mexican Bloodleg) at a petstore for 40$. Is that good? I've only found a few places on the internet that stock them, but the price range is ridiculous.

Also, I've had trouble finding good info for this species - there is a caresheet @ petbugs but the link no work.

I'm not worried about how to care for it, but do any of you have this species, and what do you think of them? I searched A.P., but couldn't find much else other than debate separating these guys and the B. Bohemi. :?

I've handled him just now, and he seems pretty energetic - so I'm excited already! :D

Love to Foxtrot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What petstore did you find him at? If they have any nice tarantulas left I would love to go and have a look at them!

Aubrey

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm in manhattan for the weekend, and this guy that just graduated last year opened a petstore in aggieville called "Scaly Dave's Herp Shack". It's a pretty cool store in general - and he's got a decent spider collection. They also had a 4"+ P. Cambridgi for 40$, but he wouldn't sell it to me cause some other dweeb put down a deposit:)

He said he hated other petstores, and was trying to make a difference with his - I was impressed! Beats ANYTHING I've found in Kansas City....

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Be careful of sexable size, "unsexed" t's for sale anywhere. Pet stores get sold inmature males quite often. PetCo is one of the worst. A few people even on this site have tried to sell me "unsexed" t's at 4-5" but once I asked a few questions that did not get answered it became the "unsexed" were males.

Might not be the case with this store but be careful.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Even if an immature male, $40 for a 3" bicoloratum is a steal. They mature around 3.5"-4" so it'll be around at least a little bit more. You very rarely see males offered for breeding loans on account of the slow Aphonopelma growth rate so expect eager takers if it does turn out to be mature guy (like me, I've got an adult female :)).

Care is pretty much idiot proof: dry, water bowl, hide and a couple of inches of substrate so it can construct itself a scrape if it wants. Like most NA Aphonopelmas, it's slow to grow and won't eat that much. My adult female only eats about once a month or so.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got a 3" A. Bicoloratum (Mexican Bloodleg) at a petstore for 40$. Is that good? I've only found a few places on the internet that stock them, but the price range is ridiculous.

40$ seems like a very reasonable price.
I have around 6 of them........three are adult females and the rest are unsexed juvs.

Also, I've had trouble finding good info for this species - there is a caresheet @ petbugs but the link no work.
I'm not worried about how to care for it, but do any of you have this species, and what do you think of them? I searched A.P., but couldn't find much else other than debate separating these guys and the B. Bohemi. :?

keep it like any other aphonopelma..........dry substrate, a hide, and a full water dish at all times. no need to mist or wet the substrate.........mine are skittish but have not kicked hairs or shown a defense posture, they are more prone to run and hide IME. I think they are one of the more attractive aphonos.
Ed

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
You got a great deal on it, and you can use any care sheet from Aphonopelmas like A.hentzi, A.chalcodes, even A.moderatum as they are all desert dwelling relatives

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very good deal on it and the only thing I would disagree with is the part about they wont eat much. Mine eats like a pig every week so it must be an individual thing.

Phil

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, good deal. I just purchased a bicoloratum, about 1/8" a microscopic little guy, for $28, the size of mine coupled with their growth rate assures me I will be getting pinheads for the next year or so!!LOL!!

Andy

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You guys rock. Thank you all for all the good info, and for reaffirming my purchase! I'm exited to be adding another member to my collection!!!

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to agree with Phillip on the eating thing. I have a juvie female and she too eats like a pig and is quite the hair flicker. Must just be an individual thing.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by petitegreeneyes
I have a juvie female and she too eats like a pig and is quite the hair flicker. Must just be an individual thing.
In almost a year and a half of having her I've seen mine flick hairs all of twice. Definitely seems to be major variability among them.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Like most NA Aphonopelmas, it's slow to grow and won't eat that much. My adult female only eats about once a month or so.
CM, out of curiosity, what temps are you keeping your bicoloratum at? my bicoloratums are usually hearty eaters except when it is molting time.
Ed

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
CM, out of curiosity, what temps are you keeping your bicoloratum at? my bicoloratums are usually hearty eaters except when it is molting time.
Ed
It stays about 76 give or take 2 degrees year round in the room I keep the inverts in. She's healthy and plump but just doesn't accept food all that often.

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:)i was offered one in this country at £80 for a 4" individual. ive spent some silly money in my time but for that money i could buy two or three other species plus theres the matter that your pet could well go belly up on you. i guess its all down to how much you want that particular spider and how much your prepared to spend.
one of my fave little spiders is my redleg.right little nutjob :D ive never seen a spider dig so much before thats about 4" plus the way it tackles prey.it will stalk and then rugby tackle the prey , sometimes doing a couple of complete rolls. makes quite a racket :rolleyes: oh , ive actaully seen her dig like a trench next to her heatmat then months later fill it in again , perfectly , you wouldnt realise she had dug there:?