Any US native T other than Aphonopelma?

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The title says all...

I know that they are some introduced Brachys and Avics, but are ALL US t species Aphonopelma, or do we have some obscure little known variety of others families?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As far as I've heard Aphonopelmas are the whole show. There could be a few Brachypelma skulking around in southern Texas or California but seems to me they'd probably have been noticed by now.

upwith inverts!

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are rumors of avics and phormictopus in florida, and some introduced Brachypelma vagans there.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree, unless you count the Florida B. vagans and A. avics, I don't think anything other than Aphonopelmas occurs in the US naturally.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You tend to forget that Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are part of the US.

Art

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Art
I wouldn't call them part of the U.S. Quite contradictory to the abreviation. They are just territories. Puerto Rico, besides sharing currency and laws is nothing like the U.S.
TBH

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

Art
Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, they were probably referring to the contiguous US (including the District of Columbia). And, as they were specifically asking about 'native' species, this would not include introduced species in Florida.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For now that's it.

In the long run, there will be NO "Aphonopelma" from the U.S. There may end up being more than 1 genera here, but for the time being everything is "Aphonopelma".

Eric

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For now that's it.

In the long run, there will be NO "Aphonopelma" from the U.S. There may end up being more than 1 genera here, but for the time being everything is "Aphonopelma".

Eric
That's why I always laugh at the purists who claim stability is important in biological systematics nomenclature.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say there is a decent chance that Grammostola exist somewhere in the SW United States. I have seen a few photos that would support this claim as well...

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This could be possible. They are species within a genus that are in separate areas very far apart elsewhere in the world. I would'nt be surprised!

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Kevin,

I would say there is a decent chance that Grammostola exist somewhere in the SW United States. I have seen a few photos that would support this claim as well...
Did you really mean Grammostola, or did you by chance mean to type Brachypelma? Either way I don't think so, but just curious :)!

Considering Grammostola don't even exist in Central America, I doubt you meant to suggest they existed in the U.S.

Eric

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow Grammostola in North America, that's interesting :rolleyes: ...hehe
It is curious that only one Genus can be found in such huge country as the United States.

Pato-

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Kevin,
Did you really mean Grammostola, or did you by chance mean to type Brachypelma? Either way I don't think so, but just curious :)!
Eric
From some of the photos I have seen(I can look them up and send them off to you) I would say it is possible... Maybe transplants from Spanish colonization or something, the area the photos are from is near a mission that was established in the late 1700s/early 1800s.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For now that's it.

Eric
OMG! next thing you know Brachypelma vagans is not a Brachypelma :eek:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Eric
You are referring to some ongoing work that will split Aphonopelma into 2 or more seperate genera? Can you elaborate or is it like, top secret?

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
look at the type species of Aphonopelma: A. seemanni. then look at all the other Aphonopelma species. not a big secret i would say.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
look at the type species of Aphonopelma: A. seemanni. then look at all the other Aphonopelma species. not a big secret i would say.
Oh, right, I hear ya. I always figured that A seemani was the odd man out in that one. When you look at American spp like A. anax, A. hentzi, A. sp "Paysoni", etc they're obviously very similar.

I wonder if all US species will be reclassified or if A seemani and it's ilk will be? (Goes to look at the Platnick list...)

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wonder if all US species will be reclassified or if A seemani and it's ilk will be? (Goes to look at the Platnick list...)
from the World spider catalog:

mf seemanni (F. O. P.-Cambridge, 1897) *

the * means that the genus was described from this species. so all the other species need to be re-classified. seemanni will remain Aphonopelma.