A few questions about my first T (G. Rosea)

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

I've just got into the hobby after much thought and reading up about caring for Ts and although I've attempted to trawl all the beginner threads there are a few things I'm unsure of that may sound obvious to many of you, so any help would be appreciated.

Firstly, the enclosure i've just put together has vermiculite substrate, a small faux plant and a couple pieces of cork bark for hiding etc. Half the tank has a low temp heat mat because i live in england and my room temp varies a lot. So the question I have is as follows:
I've introduced my new T to her environment and so far she's barely moved 2 inches in about 5 hours, she's choosing to stay on the piece of cork that was in her holding tank, is this normal for a G.rosea?

Secondly, as far as water sources go, is a shallow water dish the best way to go? I've read Stan Schultz's article on the habitat and doesn't ever say it's necessary, while I've read elsewhere that it's an essential so long as the humidity is kept up?

Thirdly, my T went in to her new home today, when should i try feeding her? My supplier noted she'd last been offered and took food 4 days ago.

Fourthly, how sensitive are Ts to vibration etc? i.e. if I was to keep the tank on my desk also which my laptop sits, would the typing have a negative impact? Would music being played in the environment affect the T? This may sound daft but i'm just not sure and would rather not get it wrong :)

Lastly, not a question, but more a 'for those interested' here's the pics of my new T and her new home

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb275/iambrynwilliams/Spider001.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb275/iambrynwilliams/Spider003.jpg

Any help in response to any or all of these questions or any comments at all would be most appreciated! :D

-Bryn

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It will take some time for your T to adjust to its new home. When I got my G. rosea, she was crawling up the walls for over month and then finally settled down. It may sit in one place or walk around a lot, neither is anything to worry about.

A shallow water dish is perfect for a G. rosea. Don't put cotton or a sponge or anything except regular water in it, and make sure there is always water in it. The heat mat is ok, probably not needed, just make sure it is not attached to the bottom of the tank, it should be on the side. T's and other inverts will often burrow if they're too warm, and putting the heat mat on the bottom could leave you with a cooked T.

When I get new inverts, I often feed them the same or next day, many will immediately eat, some won't eat for a while. If yours doesn't take food at first, don't leave anything in as it will add to its stress. Then wait a week and try again.

Tarantulysis

Arachnopeon
thats a nice looking spider!Only thing I could add is to make everything fall proof.I have heard that even a small fall could kill them. I had a rose hair for about ten years and all I had as far as instruction were a few pet shop employees who actually knew a little about them(very little)and that was enough to keep it alive,but in general they're tanks!

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice spider and good looking setup. one suggestion thou, add another 2 inches of substrate. You don't want a terrestrial spider to have too much headspace because if they fall from the screen, it could be injured.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the comments and advice I'll definitely get more substrate tomorrow, i thought i'd bought enough but when i laid the tank it didn't go as far as i thought

I've been reading the threads on these boards about substrate choices and was thinking about mixing up the landscape with a bit of potting soil in areas to vary the lanscape?

Thoughts?

Bryn

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
anyone think a layer of potting soil over the vermiculite a bad idea?

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Be very careful with potting soil. Some includes pesticides that will be harmfull to your T. A safer alternative would be coco-bedding.

peachypaderna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmm, I'm interested in what you guys think about how tarantulas will react to loud music. I live in a studio-type flat, no rooms whatsoever, and I sing for a band and need to practice my singing quite often. Will this be detrimental for the well-being of my tarantula? Just echoing Bryn's question. :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
G. rosea like a bone dry substrate. The vermiculite is fine if you like it, you can also mix it with potting soil. (No pesticides or fertilizers.) It could take her up to a week to acclimate herself to her new home. Don't worry if she doesn't move or a few days.

As far as the music question, my husband plays guitar. Sometimes quite loud. I've noticed that the Ts will often go to the side of the enclosure while he's playing and put a foot or two on the glass, as if they are "feeling" the music.

peachypaderna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As far as the music question, my husband plays guitar. Sometimes quite loud. I've noticed that the Ts will often go to the side of the enclosure while he's playing and put a foot or two on the glass, as if they are "feeling" the music.
Haha! I'm not sure if that indicates any discomfort on the T's part, but I have to admit that's a cute image.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I am extremely pleased to report that I offered my T a cricket about a minute ago, and she's already taken it and is choosing the top of her hidey hole as an awesomely proud spot to sit and eat it. She's circling around and around laying down web as well which I read is quite common for these.

This being the first time I've seen a tarantula kill in real life I'm most excited!{D

See pics attached of her prize (apologies for crap photo quality, was taken in haste through her glass)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb275/iambrynwilliams/Killedcricket003.jpg

Bryn

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Well I am extremely pleased to report that I offered my T a cricket about a minute ago, and she's already taken it and is choosing the top of her hidey hole as an awesomely proud spot to sit and eat it. She's circling around and around laying down web as well which I read is quite common for these.

This being the first time I've seen a tarantula kill in real life I'm most excited!{D

See pics attached of her prize (apologies for crap photo quality, was taken in haste through her glass)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb275/iambrynwilliams/Killedcricket003.jpg

Bryn
That is called the happy feeding dance. You'll find yourself doing it too when you finally see them eat!;)

Haha! I'm not sure if that indicates any discomfort on the T's part, but I have to admit that's a cute image.
If only they could get the beat down.....

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Got another quick question if someone would like to help me out

I've noticed just today that my T has a patch on her rear end that looks a little different in colour and hair density, I'm not sure if this is normal or an area of damage from the pet store/transit?

See pic for what i mean.

Any help appreciated as always

Bryn

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Those are just the fluffy little urticating hairs. The've detatched from her opisthma and are stuck in the longer hairs. No need to worry, just be careful to rinse them off if you get them on you.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thank you!
I was worried me brand new T had something wrong, but if it's just a patch of the urticating hairs then that's fine!

Bryn

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Right discovered another question I haven't asked yet:

I'm sure most of you will have your own technique, but what if my T is sitting in her waterdish which is now empty (it's a shallow small glass petri dish lid) and I need to fill it? Or alternatively i wanted to add more substrate to the tank and T is sat right where it's going to go?

What's the best method for getting the T to move without annoying it too heavily? I've tried very gently touching the back legs with a smooth rounded plastic rod and she sometimes walks away but other times just turns around and get's defensive?

So how do you move you Ts around when needed?

Any help always appreciated

Bryn

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. rosea like a bone dry substrate. The vermiculite is fine if you like it, you can also mix it with potting soil. (No pesticides or fertilizers.) It could take her up to a week to acclimate herself to her new home. Don't worry if she doesn't move or a few days.

Really, Thats a new one for me. Do you have any facts to back that up. ;P

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Really, Thats a new one for me. Do you have any facts to back that up. ;P
Which part?

As far as filling the water dish with the T in it, I personally just pour the water in slowly. She will get out. Unless she's really thirsty, and then she might drink for a few minutes.

There really is no need to add substrate or change it out unless you get mold or parasites. Remove all dead prey and food bolus as needed. When I rehouse, or have to clean enclosures, I usually take the T out. With more defensive species, I use long tongs, tweezers, etc. to nudge the little critter out of the way.