Whats are these worms on dubia colony?

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These are as big as it gets and there tons of them. Im not sure if there harmful to my colony or not?
Anyne familiar with these worms? There body kind of hardshelled.
Compared to quarter below.

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are these the midget type mealworms? There all same tiny size. Are they harmful to a dubia roach colony.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know what species they are, but they should probably be removed.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
acually, there used in pet store cricket bins for "clean up"....they eat dead crix and roaches i belive....not sure of the species....but its a beatle larvea for sure.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
acually, there used in pet store cricket bins for "clean up"....they eat dead crix and roaches i belive....not sure of the species....but its a beatle larvea for sure.
Don't they use dermestid beetle larvae for that? These aren't it :?

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believed from my quick research the sc.name is Tenebrio Obscurus is a darkling beetle, whose larvae , when used as feeder insects for reptile and amphibean pets, are known as mini mealworms. These insects should not be confused with younger mealworms (Tenebrio molitor) or with the confused flour beetle (Tribolium confusum), which is also occassionally used as a reptile feeder insect.
Mini mealworms would probably remain unknown, if not for the reptile pet industry. In search for easy to raise insects to used as food for captive reptiles and amphibians, mini mealworms have recently attracted interest as an ideal food item for tiny species.
The larvae resembles very small mealworms, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch (12 to 19 mm) in size.
Once they reach adult size, the larvae pupate, and later emerge as small, black beetles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenebrio_obscurus

I think these are harmless to my dubia colony and mainly they are scavengers and eats left over food. Weird thing I havent seen a beetle or any other bug in bin other than these tiny worms.

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
btw Ive noticed my dubia colony bin is really clean well from left over foods. I hardly see any dead roaches at all. Im worried of worms eating the eggs? If there not bothering eggs then its one best clean up bugs.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
btw Ive noticed my dubia colony bin is really clean well from left over foods. I hardly see any dead roaches at all. Im worried of worms eating the eggs? If there not bothering eggs then its one best clean up bugs.
Dubias give live birth so i wouldnt worry about the eggs there in mommy

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dubias give live birth so i wouldnt worry about the eggs there in mommy
BTW I remember now, I got the mini mealworms from member here named MattK. (cool guy)
I see egg shells all over, dubia roaches incubate there eggs inside them. So yes your correct they give live birth.;)