Yellow sac spider.

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im sorry to say I find those in my house, and they DO give me the creeps. YUK They are somewhat poisonous am I right?

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have heard their bite can cause a painful sore. but i have also heard that they are scapegoated for bite cases where the true identity of the culprit is not known.

kalvaer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last edited by a moderator:

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im sorry to say I find those in my house, and they DO give me the creeps. YUK They are somewhat poisonous am I right?
all spiders are venomous. i just know these guys like to bite.

i found one of them in my bug pinning box the other day! i fed her a dead mantis nymph i found and watched her eat under a microscope. it was AMAZING :D

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
they are said to have a necrosis type venom. similar to a recluse but not as bad. one i probably wouldn't have bite me on purpose.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive been bit on my back several times when a specimen fell down my shirt while i was on the computer last year. I have several scars from it, which wont seem to go away. The bite is not 'that' bad though. It hurts, and causes a painful red bump, that goes away slowly in a couple of weeks, then leaves this dark red looking area that doesn't seem to go away.

I kill them whenever i see them, but i am not that worried about getting bit by them anymore. It is not nearly as bad as those picture shown. When i got bit i also got some stomach discomfort like a really mild case of the flu, but i cannot say for sure if it was because of the bite or not. The scars are from the bites, i am certain of that. Each bite had 2 little puncture holes and i found the spider in my shirt after i felt the bites, then i killed the little bastard.

Like i said though, nothin too horrible. Definately not anything close to a recluse.

EDIT- Come to think of it, that 2nd picture down looks identical to how my bites looked, but much much smaller. Maybe like 1/50th of the size of the one shown. You get this red nasty looking welt with a white center. It looks like a really disgusting infected zit, and hurts. Then when it goes away you are left with a spot that is the reddish color, like a scar.

-Nate

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
jade, MI is where i ran across all the C. inclusum i saw. is this where you came in contact with them also?

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are tons of them over here, pretty sure my mom was bitten by one a few weeks ago and she got paranoid thinking a widow got out, my parents are hypocondriacs i swear! I caught one earlier on the wall and it wouldnt stop running in its vial. I came back a few hours later and it finally settled down so I picked up the vial to get a better look at it, and off it went running again. These things have soo much energy.

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I see them here all the time. I just had one on my fridge the other day.

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they are said to have a necrosis type venom. similar to a recluse but not as bad. one i probably wouldn't have bite me on purpose.
Ok, yes I know all spiders have venom, but that's good to know. Everything I've read on them is something I definately don't want to bite me. I love my T's and jumping spiders {D

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This species is Cheiracanthium mildei and their venom is similar to recluses but many times ''weaker''. Pretty speedy spiders too. They only bite when they feel trapped.

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Easy, I have been around this species for a long time and read A LOT about them and even if the pics are fairly small and average quality i'm still 100% sure its c.mildei. Also you can find them almost everywhere in the US and Europe. Only chance i am wrong is if staright8 lives somewhere else than the 2 continents mentioned above!

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Easy, I have been around this species for a long time and read A LOT about them and even if the pics are fairly small and average quality i'm still 100% sure its c.mildei. Also you can find them almost everywhere in the US and Europe. Only chance i am wrong is if staright8 lives somewhere else than the 2 continents mentioned above!
There are so many spiders that look similar to this one, yet aren't even the same family. What specific characteristics did you use to single out this one species (or even the genus)? If all I was looking at were small, fuzzy pictures I wouldn't be able to tell many of the spiders in these links apart:

http://www.canadianarachnology.org/data/canada_spiders/ImageFamilies.asp?Family=10

http://www.canadianarachnology.org/data/canada_spiders/ImageFamilies.asp?Family=35

Last edited:

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,
Also you can find them almost everywhere in the US and Europe.
Until today I never found this species here, only C. erraticum and C. punctorium. Afaik C. mildei is not that common here in Europe.
Apart from that I wouldn´t even be able to see the difference between C. punctorium and C. erraticum from those pictures, and I found both species in the wild + examined preserved specimen of both.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmmm, not quite, Dreamslave. The native North American species found almost ubiquitously is C. inclusum, not C. mildei ( an introduced species from Europe ). The native inclusum is more toxic than the mildei ( lucky us... ), and has the vivid lemon yellow colouration now associated with the "yellow" sac spider. C. mildei exhibits a much more drab tone overall, with more spotting on the dorsal abdomen and a more prominent stripe on the anterior dorsal abdomen. C. mildei is not nearly as common in the United States and Canada as is the C. inclusum. The spider in these photos is C. inclusum.

ALL Cheiracanthium spp. are cytotoxic, and capable of producing ulcurating sores in humans. The typical manifestation is a very swollen and reddened bump, which may blister. This is typically very sensitive to touch, and stings intensely. Additionally, systemic nausea, chills, and slight fever may be involved (I have seen this in a number of cases, including one case in my own household ).

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well thanks for the info/correction Venom. At least i had the genus right! :p
Now that i think about it, its true that the c.mildei has a more drab coloration! I found another one wandering in my bedroom so i took a close look at the coloration.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would question even the genus without better pictures. Cheiracanthium is only a possibility at this point; a good possibility, yes, but not certain without better information (which no one has given).