Cages!

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering where you all get your T's cages? I'm looking for a decent priced, sturdy one.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Anywhere and everywhere. Craigslist, pet stores, you name it.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering where you all get your T's cages? I'm looking for a decent priced, sturdy one.
The cheapest thing besides rare deals is to buy a 10 gallon fish tank from Walmart for $10 bucks. Make a lid out of plexi-glass from Home Depot/ hardware store and drill/ melt holes with a soldering iron for ventilation. All in all you can spend under $20.(if you have a drill or soldering iron)

OR you can be really ambitious and make the whole enclosure out of plexi-glass, though plexi-glass isn't always the easiest thing to work with and you probably won't build a beautiful cage on your first try. Ours get better every time we make one...........

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Plastic cubes from Michael's, Clear plastic Omni Shoe Boxes from Canadian Tire, and the odd KK.

Oh, and 2.5 gallon tanks with the glass lids I get from PetSmart for about $15 each.
Substrate is the 'Soil Block' from Canadian Tire. This stuff is cocofibre but in a block about 4 times the size at half the price.

Furnishings (fake plants, clay pots, clay dishes, etc.) courtesy of the dollar store.

Cork bark from wherever I can get it. (Anyone want to send me some? Please...)

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use these container because I hate critter keepers. They are shoe boxes at the container store. If you dont have a container store near you, here is the link. The container store also has the cubes that michaels has for aboreals, which I also use.

Here is the link:
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=154&PRODID=10023922

PS: I use a soldering gun to burn holes in the lid and sides for ventilation.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Let's see here most are 10 gal. aquariums from the lps, one Tarantula cages cage, one zoomed enclosure, KKs, Glad containers, Rubbermaid containers, and some deli containers. Pretty much anything I find that I can put a T in. :D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I use these container because I hate critter keepers. They are shoe boxes at the container store. If you dont have a container store near you, here is the link. The container store also has the cubes that michaels has for aboreals, which I also use.

Here is the link:

I LOVE those!! And you get free stickers with them too!!!;)

RelyK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ive been searching craigslist recently and managed to find a wood panaled 55gal with a 20 gal and 10 gal for a grand total of $85 with stand. So Im gonna go all TLC on the 55 and divide it into 4 or 5 segments for a bunch of Avic's Ill be getting

SCORPIONNOOB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Me and my buddy dumpster dive at the factory he works out for plexiglass and custom design our cages! And use the scraps for slightly larger sling cages! Otherwise I stick with a regular 10 gallon aquarium! Cheers!

HankyPankyRoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also try any local pet shops that sell the glass aquariums. Often times they get some in that are cracked/leaky and will sell them at a huge discount.

Last 2 I got were 20 gallon at $10.00 each.

Some people also use the beanie baby display cases, 4x4x8. I just ordered 12 on Ebay for $25.00.

Classified Ads, Garage Sales.

Places like ACMORE are way to expensive. The first display case I bought there cost me $27.00. Pioneer Plastics Case of 6 for $42.30.

Pioneer Plastic's. They sell only cases, but the prices are great.

http://www.pioneerplastics.com/catalog.html:)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Go to walmart. Walk back and forth between the kitchen containers (tupperware, etc) and the bigger plastic bins until you see something that looks good. Take it home, drill holes in the lid, wash it, add dirt, hide, water dish and a tarantula.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Go to walmart. Walk back and forth between the kitchen containers (tupperware, etc) and the bigger plastic bins until you see something that looks good. Take it home, drill holes in the lid, wash it, add dirt, hide, water dish and a tarantula.
^^^ I like this . . . :D

I like to have things the same, so I been using the cubes.
But my avics will outgrow them eventually.

I always keep an eye out for containers that I like, but I also need to be able to get alot of them.

I just today found some clear plastic tubes that are closed on 1 end and caps on the other.
I took them home, drilled some holes, added substrate and a twigand a tarantula to each.
I took 10 today, and theres probably about 100 more.
Anything can be a cage!
I think making the cages is the best part!

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
[/QUOTE]

These look pretty good for aboreal slings. The only thing that could be a problem is knocking them over. That problem could be solved pretty simply by hot gluing a small piece of plexi to the bottom to stabalize them. Nice pacmaster.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are surprisingly stable!
Weight on the bottom, and nothing up high.
It was a worry of mine, but it works just fine.
Slings of course, till about 1.5" Id say.

I thought about a base, but its not really needed and I like them separate.
My idea was to make like a large test-tube rack type thing.

I think I might even get some of my other slings out of the small cubes theyre in and put them in these tubes.
Theres 6 amazonicas I have in mind for this.

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Last saturday there was a reptile show at the city I live in. There I bought everything I needed to setup two more cages.

I got myself two glass T cages, 30cm x 30cm x 30cm with sliding doors for €22,- each, two live plants for €4,50 each, two water dishes for €2,- each and cork bark for €4,50.
At a pet store chain I bought 20 liters of substrate (NOT coco fiber) for €15,- and photographic back wall image for €3,-.
So all in all I paid about €40,- for one complete cage (about $53,-).

Looks like this (the bigger ones are the 30x30x30):

peachypaderna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Here is the link:

WOW. These boxes look perfect! :drool: Man, I wish we had those things here in the Philippines. And they're pretty cheap, too. If shipping didn't cost so much, I would order them online. Oh well. :(