B.Smithi question..

sVE1

Arachnopeon
I'm a bit worried that my B. Smithi may be dehydrated? the "bum" looks a bit small, then again I'm comparing to photo's that I've seen you people post. I got her last monday, (my first tarantula ever) and she molted friday. All success, but I've never seen her walk over to her water dish. I can see webbing around her cave, but around the water dish there is "no trace" of her. Is it reason to be worried?

To tell you the truth she is in the cave most of the time, but the last days she has started to come a bit more out, and I can see she is expanding her "web mat" to well outside the cave now.
Do you think I shall place a waterdish right infront of the cave?

I've included a VERY bad picture of her (she is hiding, I dont want to force her out for the picture:) ) but maybe some of you guys can get anything out of it.

Some of you may also want to check the webcam

mms://svenet.com:8081

One other question, what kinda lighting do you people use? For now I'm running on two lights, one for day, one for night. For day I use a Zoo-Med daylight BLUE reptile bulb. And for night I use a Zoo-Med nightlight RED reptile bulb, both 40w (temp is about right with these two).. The guys at the pet store said this would be fine, do you agree?

Again, thanks for all the help I can get. Since this is my first tarantula, small things can freak me a bit out :)

Regards

Sven

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It is normal for the abdomen to appear small after a moult. First, it's an abdomen sized relative to their old prosoma. Second, they fast a bit before moulting which leaves them a bit thin anyhow. Give it some days and begin offering food again, it will plump right up.

As for light, tarantulas do not need any light and I'd take them out of there. If temps are below 70F then you'll be better off with a heat mat on the side of the enclosure. Lights both annoy the tarantula (well, the red one might not) and put a bigger moisture requirement on the tarantula.

sVE1

Arachnopeon
Thanks for quick answering. That is good to hear, I will observe her a few more days then.

I do have a heat mat under the terrarium, but atm it gets way to hot when I use it. So I will have to wait with that till winter comes.
The lights are hanging way above the terrarium, 30cm or so above. The red light I added because I wanna see what's going on in there, the blue one I added as request from pet store, So you really think I shall remove them? Keep in mind (I dident say), this is a split tank, the other part is housing 2 spinifer scorps..
Temp is around 75-80F 'ish.. humidty normally around 75%.. atm 78% (having a bit of a hard time finding the right spot, thinking about changing the top with better ventilation for better control, humidity stays a LONG while as current)

Thanks yet again

Sven

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with CM the lights gotta go. I believe I have read that red light is either undetected by the T's or hardly not 100% sure on that one . I do know with certainty that they were used in flashlights (red bulbs) at night only to spot the Ts, check, or observe them .

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That sounds more like the lights are for you than the T, then. If they are so far above the terrarium you should be ok. B. smithi is a very tolerant tarantula and doens't need anything fancier than something to hide in, a water dish, and temperatures above 70F.

Be careful with split tanks, though. Tarantulas can squeeze through pretty small openings and it is not uncommon for people using split tanks to find one side munching on the other one.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree, the abdomen usually is a bit smaller after a molt, just give it a few days and attempt to feed the T, if it accepts the food I would say everything is alright.

Andy

sVE1

Arachnopeon
CM, you are right, the red light atleast was only for me :) The petstore guys was the ones that told me that they wanted light in the day. To have some sort of rythem they told me, might be crap for all I know.. Maybe they was thinking about the scorps?

Anyways, maybe you should "look over" the entire setup, since the same people told me this would be okay. and BTW, the split window is a acryl 0,5cm plate that cant go nowhere :)

here's the pics (bad as always, need to get a polarization filter to get the glare off)

The complete setup

Smithi cage

Spinifer cage

As for now, lights are off :)

Thanks

Sven

arcane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The expert types around here recommend putting the heat mat on the side of the enclosure. The reason being that Ts dig down to escape heat, and might end up roasting themselves (the exception to this rule would be arboreals I guess).

Also those reptile heat mats can get really hot, you should consider a thermostat. I have mine set to 70. It's not plugged in at the moment, but in winter we let it drop to about 60F at night, indoors.

My B. Smithi just molted, and the abdomen definitely gets (or looks) small at first. Also keep in mind I think a lot of people here let their T's eat their fill, so they tend to be on the porky side.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by sVE1
Thanks for quick answering. That is good to hear, I will observe her a few more days then.

I do have a heat mat under the terrarium, but atm it gets way to hot when I use it. So I will have to wait with that till winter comes.

Sven
I agree with arcane,
Put the heat mat on the side of the tank, not under it..;)
Don't cook your T.

Ernie

sVE1

Arachnopeon
Well, again this shows that the people from the pet store dont know anything, because they told me smithi's and spinifer scorps do NOT dig themself down if there is alot of heat, and advised me to actually place it UNDER the terrarium.. The mat has now been installed in the back plate, ready for use.

I will buy a termostat when I have seen if there is need for one. I live in Norway, it gets COLD here :) I guess they will need all the heat they can get :)

Anyways, as always, thanks to all those who replied.

Sven