Molt stuck to skin for three months.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, I don't know how many times people have posted this happening.. but every time I see the same reply: Give it a while, and it should come off on it's own. Well, my 1/4 inch PZB has had the abdomen and carapace hanging off of it's ass for over three months like some big dumb round flag. It isn't eating that I can tell, but then again the tiny ass thing rarely did in the first place. It's still very much active and alive, but the skin shows no sign of coming off anytime soon. The thing is too small to pull the old one off without likely ripping it in half. Any suggestions?

Bill

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your right about killing it, if you pull it off.
I would let it molt it off, Bill. Its your safest bet. IMO

Ern

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with Ern. If it's done ok for this long, may as well let it be. Only other thing I could even think may work would be to dab a drop of water where the exuvium is stuck with a paintbrush tip once a day or whatever.

Good luck Bill.

Atrax

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Well, I don't know how many times people have posted this happening.. but every time I see the same reply: Give it a while, and it should come off on it's own. Well, my 1/4 inch PZB has had the abdomen and carapace hanging off of it's ass for over three months like some big dumb round flag. It isn't eating that I can tell, but then again the tiny ass thing rarely did in the first place. It's still very much active and alive, but the skin shows no sign of coming off anytime soon. The thing is too small to pull the old one off without likely ripping it in half. Any suggestions?

Bill
wow the word "ass" is a funny word.

I also agree(suprised?) to the above. You should really wait until it molts it out. I have had this happned to my B. smithi. I raised the temp though and the humidity. The thing came off easily, yet my B. smithi is 3", so I don;t belive it would work for something that small. Any ways good luck

have a nice day

geo

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a large adult female g. rosea that had a small strip of old exo left right at where the carapace and abdomen meets, it would stick up like a native american indian feather. finally after more than a year she molted and a fine molt it is. my point being leave it and the next molt it will be gone.
Ed

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have found a cup of luke warm water and a soft paint brush might work. Since it has been so long you might wanna just leave it like everyone else has said.

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had the same situation twice with one of my B. emilia. The old skin did not want to come off its abdomen. I put some water drops on it but it did not work. So I left it like that. It came off itself after about 10 days each time :)
If your T is so small, I would suggest waiting till the next molt... Hopefully it will be gone then. The most important is that the T is still active...
Good luck!!! :)

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is this going to be one of those classic moments where 20 people say "Leave it" then the 21st says "remove it" so you remove it? :p

As mentioned int he watering hole

Any pics? :cool:

noboyscout

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I say leave it! Your PZB should be due for a moult soon enough any way. I wouldn't tempt fate.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No voice of dissent here. At that size there's really nothing you can do that's not going to risk damaging the sling. If it were going to respond to something like a little water it probably wouldn't be still stuck on there. Unless it's completely constricting the abdomen (and doesn't sound like it from your description), the odds are that it should be able to moult normally - and if it's already been 3 months, that time should be coming soon.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Thanks guys, just wanted to reaffirm my opinion that laziness is the best path in this situation :)

Bill

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yep.... my B. smithi sling had the same issue... but i noticed yesterday that the piece that was stuck on him came off on it's own, even without a molt.

i'd def. say leave it. but yeah, the PZB's at that size don't eat for anything IME...