Brachypelma Species Hair?

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've heard the Brachypelma species has a semi average hair...in you guy's experiences, how bad are they on a scale of 1-10?

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
None of my 3 are bad hair kickers, but I've never had a reaction when cage cleaning or handling molts. :eek:

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok cool, i am getting a B. Albiceps in the mail on tuesday or wednesday so thats why i asked

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i kno but i don't think i will have that bad of a reaction...does age play a role in it?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i belive brachys have type 3 hair(6 known types)which is probably the most effect of the types for defence...soo if hair bothers you than you've picked from the wrong group lol....;)

wayne

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As was mentioned above, different people react differently to the urticating bristles.
Let it kick at your hand, wait a few minutes, and then gauge for yourself.
My Brachypelma smithis are moderate kickers and the itch is a mild irritation to me.

Remember to keep the duct tape handy to get rid of the hairs.

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As was mentioned above, different people react differently to the urticating bristles.
Let it kick at your hand, wait a few minutes, and then gauge for yourself.
My Brachypelma smithis are moderate kickers and the itch is a mild irritation to me.

Remember to keep the duct tape handy to get rid of the hairs.
geat advice...ill keep that in mind, what is the size they start kicking at?

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had 1/2" slings (about when they get their first patch of urticating bristles) kick at me when I open their vials.

It's cute because I don't feel them at all at that size but they try.

I'd say I feel the teeny, almost undetectable, prick of an urticating bristle anchoring itself in my skin when they are around 1.5 - 2 inches in legspan.

geat advice...ill keep that in mind, what is the size they start kicking at?