Houston, we have a problem ... a Uropygi problem

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got 'Vinnie' as a fully mature pyg last fall at a herp show with the idea that he's be a unique critter to take to school now and then. Kept him in a smallish Kritter Keeper with 2" deep peatmoss bedding. I do realize the peat wasn't as deep as what would likely have been ideal, but he seemed okay with it -- digging out tunnels, piling up dirt in one area then moving it to another, ... repeat. During the day he'd hide out under his waterdish. He ate well -- generally on crickets that he corner. Did put a thawed pinkie mouse in his tank once and he quite happily munched on that.

Then today happened. This morning I notied that his water bowl was dry and topped it off. He found it rather quickly and began drinking like there was no tomorrow. A little puzzled but not terribly concerned, I left him to his pursuit. Later, more around noon, I was checking on some of my orchids when I noticed he wasn't under his waterdish. Looking closer I noticed he had a small white glob on his underside. My thought then:"Poor lil guy is making a sperm sac but has no one to share it with...." (Please note I have never seen such a thing before but was at a loss as to what else it could possibly be.) Began debating if I should try to hit the next herp show in a few weeks to try obtaining a mature female. However, the shocks to my system were not over. Turns out I was quite wrong -- Vinnie wasn't producing a sperm sac.

View attachment 78073

Apparently, Vinnie isn't even a "Vinnie". So what's the problem you ask?

1) I had been intending to move him ...er.. her to larger digs today. But how on earth do I manage that now? Should I even try? (Concerned she will either drop the eggs or destroy them if disturbed)

2) I understand cannabalism can be an issue among the young. How early should I seperate hatchlings?

3) Will hatchlings try to climb up and out the top of a Kritter Keeper? (I know roach nymphs would have no trouble doing so.)

4) Will a female produce a second clutch?

5) My understanding is pygs generally die soon after producing eggs ... is this correct? (and how soon is soon?)

6) For that matter, do pygs lay sterile eggs? I know she has had any dalliances with a male since I've had her though I don't now about before...

:confused:

Last edited:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would give her a secure hide and disturb her as little as possible.

Is this a giant US vinnie or one of the recent imports from Malaysia?

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well looks like it is a moot point. :( Some peat got on the eggs and last I saw of her the eggs were brown (I assume they should have stayed white). Whether this was due to contamination from the peat, or infertility of the eggs I have no idea. She finally went into the hide but blocked off all egress and the 'window' side too. So I can't see what may be going on.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know in some species I have seen photos of females with eggs that are a brownish color, so that may be normal. On whipspiders they can be a greenish brown or brown color......

? ? ? ? Good luck! More is always better.....

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She may be hiding out and waiting for them to hatch. I don't know if the eggs change color or not.

Once they hatch, they're remarkably like scorpions for a while -- the first instar young will hang out on mom's back until they molt to 2I. So your best bet is to just ignore her until that happens; and keep in mind she may stay sealed up until then.

When 2I babies start running about, I'd separate them. They can't climb glass as far as I'm aware, but still make sure you have a good lid.

I, too, have heard that the females die relatively soon after having a brood. Unfortunately I can't get any more specific than that.

Best of luck!! :D