• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Avicularia versicolor

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Successful? - yes

Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers -
I received the male from Brandon in February 2003. I gave him a couple days to aclimate, but I must note that he started drumming immediately upon detecting the female's enclosure next to his.

How they were paired - after a couple days of this, I decided to let him try. I opened her container, and he stepped off my hand onto her hammock, drumming the entire time. She became alert, and walked over to him. He was maybe 1/3 her size, so I was slightly concerned about him being able to lift her. Turned out it was no problem.
I paired them a total of 4 times. The 3rd time, she came out of her container, and like trapeze artists, they hung between 2 containers! The 3rd time took the longest as well. The fourth introduction, the male got startled, and ran into her container, where she promptly bit him straight through the carapace.
There was no salvaging him.

Any special post mating care - no post mating care for the female. I fed her as much as she would eat.

Time to sac - March 15 2003 she made an impressive size eggsac

Care of the sac - I pulled the sac at approx 30 days, and there were post embryos inside. There were a few clumps of eggs stuck together, I was sucessful at carefully separating some of them, and some of them just popped open. I removed them.

Time to emerge/hatch - May 10 2003 spiderlings molted into 2nd instar and I started separating them.

The final details - I ended up with 147 healthy 2nd instars. I lost approx 20 or so from the clumped up ones, to the ones that molted into first instar terribly deformed.

recluse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I received a male on April 7th from James H. I first paired them up on April 8th. They drummed and mated right away. I paired them together each time after he made a sperm web. They would even stroke each others legs for several minutes after each mating. I noticed an eggsac on May 2nd. This was rather quick so the first thing I thought was placebo sac. I posted on the T forum and apparently it is not uncommon for an Avic. to make a viable sac within three weeks. Ten days after I noticed the sac it is still with the mom. One thing that concerns me is that through part of the sac I can see eggs, not all of the sac just one portion meaning the webbing is thin there. One person said when this happened to her the eggs dried up. I am trying keep her enclosure humid but not so humid that I get mold. I will report more as time progresses.

Day14 since I noticed eggsac, mom has still got the sac, I have my fingers crossed.

UPDATE

April 8th- first introduced male and female, they readily bred.
May 2nd- noticed sac with female
May 20th- pulled sac from female, all but 1 egg in good shape, placed in
hammock style incubator
May 22nd- eggs are growing legs.
May 27th- eggs with legs that developed are all now 1st instar
May 31st- hadn't checked on them in a couple of days, last night came home and for some reason abdomens on some have popped open causing about 4 groups of five or six to clump together deforming them, to add to this misfortune, a couple of phorid flies managed to get in the bottom half of the hammock, somehow they were able to lay eggs through the panty hose in one of the clumped up group of eggs, I disgarded all clumps of the clumped ones for fear they to had maggots, moved the hammock to another room where I know nothing can get at them, damn roach colonies attract the flies, I am able to reduce numbers but not get rid of them all. The first instar spiderlings are starting to take on a bluish hue.

June 1st for some reason they are dying off, maybe it's too hot.:mad:
June 7th I am down to about 35 darkening first instar. I am pretty sure heat may have been a factor, also if the phorid flies could lay eggs through the panty hose they could probably nibble at them too :mad: .

Last edited by a moderator:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Successful?
No. :(

Sac layed, but eggs eventually dried up.

Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers
Female was approx. 2 years post-molt (according to information from previous owner). Male was fresh post-molt.

How they were paired
Male placed in plastic jar inside female's enclosure (5 gallon aquarium). Male exited jar and they mated several times. Male stayed in female's enclosure for approx. 2 days without problem. Built sperm web in female's enclosure after mating.

Any observations on the hookup
Female very receptive.

Any special post mating care
None. Kept feeding female and making sure she had water.

Time to sac
56 days

Care of the sac
Female was webbed in behind some cork bark. Attepted to offer additional heating, but eventually removed it. Misted water and did not feed female.

Time to emerge/hatch
Pulled sac at 43 days post-sac production. Most eggs were dried up / hardened.

The final details
A few eggs looked OK, but eventually also hardened in incubator. Possible problem with humidity? Possible the female was too far post-molt? Possible the eggs were not fertilized?

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Two for the price of One

I have two adult females that molted within 2 weeks of each other. I was given a male that after a couple days of acclimation, introduced to Female 1 on 11/14/06, which resulted in an apparent successful mating.

On 11/28/06 he had a go with female 2 with the same results.
12/07/06 back to female 1, and on 12/18/06 back to female 2.

Finally he went back to female 1 on 12/28/06, and then to female 2 on 01/14/07. All six matings looked successful, but I cannot say with certainty that there were insertions. He still looked very lively, so I traded him off shortly thereafter.

This morning I discovered each had a sac that was made in the last 2 days. I misted the tank and upped the temps a bit. In the past I've had 2 sacs with dried up eggs and one sac that were infertile. I will update in about 30 days.

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have two adult females that molted within 2 weeks of each other. I was given a male that after a couple days of acclimation, introduced to Female 1 on 11/14/06, which resulted in an apparent successful mating.

On 11/28/06 he had a go with female 2 with the same results.
12/07/06 back to female 1, and on 12/18/06 back to female 2.

Finally he went back to female 1 on 12/28/06, and then to female 2 on 01/14/07. All six matings looked successful, but I cannot say with certainty that there were insertions. He still looked very lively, so I traded him off shortly thereafter.

This morning I discovered each had a sac that was made in the last 2 days. I misted the tank and upped the temps a bit. In the past I've had 2 sacs with dried up eggs and one sac that were infertile. I will update in about 30 days.
UPDATE
I've got two sacs of very nice nymphs! I can't find a bad egg in either sac. Finally, success!

Here's a couple of pics:

Sac 1:

Sac 2:

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Update

Sac #1. The other sac is about 4 days behind in development of this sac.

Aren't they purty?

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Successful first versicolor sac!

Successful - Yes! :D

Male matured in late winter 2007. After several unsuccessful attempts to send him out for breeding loan, I decided to try to pair him with my female. She is on the small side, just barely 3", so I wasn't sure initially if she would be able to produce a sac or even be receptive to him. They cohabitated continuously from sometime in early April to June 3rd, 2007. I noticed several attempted insertions but was never able to see for sure if he got an insertion. She was very receptive to him during this entire time, never showing any signs of aggression. I would routinely find them resting side by side in her web (awww!).

In the last week of May, I noticed that in addition to significantly enlarging the size of her web, she had also constructed a second web on the ground which was covered with substrate and connected to the main web by a small tube.

On the morning of June 3rd, I noticed the female sitting on a quarter-sized egg sac in the ground-level web. Male, who was sitting at the entrance to the web, was removed, and female's set-up was moved gently to a dark, quiet, out of the way area.

Sac was left with mom until July 26th (54 days) and then pulled and opened. There were what looked like a few dried up eggs plus 75 healthy, fat, and quick 1st instar nymphs. Their abdomens were dark and legs were starting to turn blue-ish. They were seperated into seperate vials.

Morro_Narcissa

Arachnopeon
Successful?
Yes

Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers
This was first mating for the female, and the male had participated in the successful production of two previous sacs.

How they were paired
Pairing was initiated 4-7-07. Male placed inside female's enclosure (tall snapware jar). Three separate matings were observed over the span of 2 hours.

Any observations on the hookup
The female was VERY receptive. :)

Any special post mating care
Normal feeding and watering schedule was followed until the golfball-sized sac was produced 4-30-07

Care of the sac
The female completely webbed herself and the sac away from the water dish, and her enclosure was put in a quite place and left alone and undisturbed except to refill the unused water dish once every week. Status was measured using backlighting to check for an intact eggsack via silhouette. :) She was not fed until 6-13-07, when she was offered a pre-killed cricket and took it eagerly. She would not accept food after that point until after she was separated from her offspring.

Time to emerge/hatch
at 56 days the spiderlings were observed beginning to emerge as 2nd instars and one 3rd instar.

The final details
Total 109 emerged, including one which was successfully separated from a stuck molt with some minor leg damage. There were 3 bad/dud/undeveloped eggs total, and one dead spiderling.

Last edited:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Here are the details of the Avicularia versicolor Breeding session from tonight.

Species: Avicularia versicolor

Date Bred:
11-09-2007

Conditions:
82 Degrees F & 78% Ambient Humidity

Species Details:
Female details: Adult 4 "
Male details: Adult 4"

Pairing
The male was placed into the females enclosure. He came to rest on the top of her corkbark hide. She sensed his presence and both T's started to drum. The male tried to tease her a bit with his front legs to get her on the topside. The female did not want to come out of the underside of her bark hide.

The male proceeded around the corner of the hide and found the females front legs. He raised her legs and sent her backwards for the insertions. There were several insertions and he slowly lowerd her down and backed out onto the topside of the bark.

Since the breeding took place on the backside of the corkbark, it didn't work so well for pics but i still managed to get some nice shots.

Once finished, I took the male out and placed him into his enclosure for future attempts.

Breeding: Successful

Here are some pics for viewing:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Avicularia versicolor female # 2

Here are the details of the Avicularia versicolor Breeding session from today.

Species:
Avicularia versicolor

Date Bred:
12-02-2007

Conditions:
79 Degrees F & 50% Ambient Humidity

Species Details:
Female details: Adult 4 "
Male details: Adult 4"

Pairing:
The male was placed into the females enclosure. The male made his way around the enclosure for a bit and found the hammock of the female. He drummed a little and she sensed his presence. She made her way out of the top of the burrow and stopped. The male approached her and touched her front legs and she took off of the side of the enclosure and ran down the side stopping before the bottom. He followed her aggressively fast. When he found her he immediately started pushing her up and she let him. He made 5 insertions while while drumming alternatively. The breeding went very well.

Once finished, I took the male out and placed him into his enclosure for future attempts with more females.

Breeding: Successful

Here are some pics for viewing:

FDF

Arachnopeon
first female's breeding attempt(1,5 Y.O.),
mated in early november,
cocoon on 8 december,
pulled today at 4 weeks.
26 °C

Last edited:

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avic Versicolor

I just got done doing my first breeding with my young female and had some wierd stuff happen during this one just thought I would see if anyone else has had this also. I put the male into the females cage after several minutes of waiting for her to respond to his drumming around her she lifted one leg. The male continued to drum then he found out were he was and he some how got underneath her and just did his thing she just sat there like nothing was going on then he ran and she walked to her web and eat a roach it was really wierd first time that has ever happened anyone else had that happen?.

FDF

Arachnopeon
day 57 from laying

final count: 110 healty slings, 4 unfertlized eggs, 2 deformed slings

Last edited by a moderator:

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Successful

Male
Received on a 50/50 loan on 10-1-07
unsure of mature date

Female #1
~4 years old
5-5.5 inch leg span
Last molt 8-6-07

Female #2
~3 years old
4.5 inch leg span
Last molt 8-31-07

Female #3
Unsure age or last molt date
3.5 inch leg span

Environment:
All 3 females are housed in a 12 x 12 x 18inch exoterra tank with cocofiber and spaghum moss for substrate, a large water dish and a large, upright bark hide. Temps are kept between 72 and 80 degrees and they are misted frequently.

Breeding Details
Male was received on 10-1-07

Female #1 - pending sac
Male was fed and allowed to settle in and make a sperm web before being shark-tanked with female on 10-3-07
Male was introduced to female on 10-4-07
Female was very receptive and male was very efficient. One insertion with each palp was observed.
Male was removed
Female was allowed to eat as much as she desired, but no growth was observed in her abdomen.
Male was re-introduced on 11-2-07 and on 11-8-07
Female receptive but male did not approach her either time
Male re-introduced 12-25-07
Female very aggressive, but male went into her web anyway and attempted breeding. I'm unsure if insertions were made or not due to location not allowing any visibity
Male re-introduced and allowed to co-habitate with female on 2-14-08
Multiple pairings seen and they lived peacefully together until male was removed on 4-3-08
Female seems to have gotten larger, but no sac as of yet.

Female #2 - successful
Male shark-tanked with female on 10-17-07
Male introduced to female on 10-19-07
Female very receptive and even though male was clumsy and knocked her off the wall, she remained calm and multiple insertions with both palps were seen
Male re-introduced to female on 2-4-08
Female very aggressive and would not allow male to approach, male was removed
Female laid sac on 2-12-08...104 days from initial and only pairing with male.
Removed sac on 2-29-08 at day 17
Eggs were incubated in cups inside a plastic shoebox with holes drilled for ventilation. Wet paper towels were kept at the bottom to allow plenty of humidity. Eggs were rotated twice daily until they popped into eggs with legs
eggs popped into eggs with legs on 3-9-08
eggs molted into first instar on 3-14-08
first instar molting into second instar on 4-18-08 - 66 days past eggsac date

Female #3 - pending sac
Male shark-tanked with female on 12-6-07
Male introduced to female on 12-7-07
Female very receptive and two insertions with both palps were seen
Male re-introduced on 2-4-08
Female incredibly calm and receptive and allowed male to breed her multiple times
Female continued to eat and her abdomen swelled up quite large but she hasn't built a web yet
Male re-introduced on and allowed to co-habitate 4-4-08

Male is still residing with Female #3

Pictures:

Psych0

Arachnopeon
* Successful? - So far so good :)

* Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers - No

* How they were paired - Male in male out

* Any observations on the hookup - The guy was quite lazy, he hadn't look for the girl, but as the girl recognized that there is the male, she runned there and leaned over him. I thought that this is the end, but the male started drumming and raped my female.

* Any special post mating care - Humidity up

* Time to sac - ~200 days!!! I don't think its the average time :?

* Care of the sac - I thought she's gonna moult, so i didn't bother her, when i recognized the sac it could have been there for a week. I waited 4 more and pulled the sac. There were already L2 babies. they are in hammock right now:)

* Time to emerge/hatch - still waiting for the first instar. Yesterday they started to become bluish, so i think 1 week max and they are all be ready for life

Last edited:

Psych0

Arachnopeon
* Successful? - So far so good :)

* Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers - No

* How they were paired - Male in male out

* Any observations on the hookup - The guy was quite lazy, he hadn't look for the girl, but as the girl recognized that there is the male, she runned there and leaned over him. I thought that this is the end, but the male started drumming and raped my female.

* Any special post mating care - Humidity up

* Time to sac - ~200 days!!! I don't think its the average time :?

* Care of the sac - I thought she's gonna moult, so i didn't bother her, when i recognized the sac it could have been there for a week. I waited 4 more and pulled the sac. There were already L2 babies. they are in hammock right now:)

* Time to emerge/hatch - still waiting for the first instar. Yesterday they started to become bluish, so i think 1 week max and they are all be ready for life

Update!!!

They all moulted to first instar. There are 255 healthy slings + one unfertilized egg.

Now i'm kinda happy!{D {D {D

JayLeidal

Arachnopeon
Breeding A.Versicolor

Successful!!

Male was first introduced on 05/04/08 for a quickie apparently. He was pulled immediately after.

Same Male was introduced again on 05/24/08. This time he wanted to stay for a while. Then pulled after insertion.

And same male was introduced one more time on 06/04/08. Male was thrilled but the Female was not into it.
(All breedings done using the "ol' bucket meathod"

Egg Sac first seen on 07/06/08

Pulled on 08/09/08 and I could not help myself
Opened 08/09/08

JayLeidal

Arachnopeon
Oops!

I forgot to mention that I opened it and there were 129 healthy 1st instars. Thanks again.

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Versicolor

I bred versicolor about four months ago to my freshly molted female and just opened the egg sac at 30 days and they are healthy looking eggs with legs.