HELP. My tarantula doesnt want to drink...

mariemaria

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's defintely not molting...because it's a spiderling.

is my water dish too big? howmcuh water do i need?

HOW DO I KNOW ITS DRINKIGN!??!!

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

HOW DO I KNOW ITS DRINKIGN!??!!
Its pretty hard to say without a pic, especially since you didn't tell us how big the water dish is. Your probably not going to witness them drink. I rarely see any of mine drink.

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i see my larger T's drinking from their dishes.. . if your T is under 2" LS use a cola bottle cap and from 2" use a milk bottle plastic cap. . .

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
javanero juice? have never heard of it or seen it in any shops by me. . . .what happens? I am curious lol
Lol. It's a very hot pepper--much more than jalapenos. Guaranteed it will at least turn red and break out in a sweat, lol.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
basically as long as the butt isn't shrinking i wouldn't worry

if it can eat then it can drink, provided it has access to water or at least moist substrate

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
could it be dangerous for the T's tho? and the owner if its a poop-firing Avic? lol

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
could it be dangerous for the T's tho? and the owner if its a poop-firing Avic? lol
Well, it will clean it out really good. I think as well as the squirt doesn't hit you in the eye you'll be fine. Not that there's anything wrong with a chick being...edit.

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, it will clean it out really good. I think as well as the squirt doesn't hit you in the eye you'll be fine. Not that there's anything wrong with a chick being...edit.
ooooooh wonder what u edited lol. . .that'll have me guessing all night now lol

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My two OBT slings I've never seen drink. I've wet down the substrate in one area weekly and they have grown nicely.

lithiumflower9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've only ever seen my bigger one drink once from the watering dish. I mist my slings enclosure to keep up her humity and allow her to drink off the side or top of the enclosure. I've seen the little one drink off the sides a few times. Seems to happen more in the middle of the night. I'm sure yours will be fine as long as it has access to water at all times.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spiderlings molt faster than adults do, so i am unsure why you think it is not molting because it is a spiderling.

In order to tell you if it is too big, we need to know how big the spiderling is and how big the water dish is. Spiderlings drink from the substrate and the sides of the glass. They also get moisture from their food too.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The food tarantulas eat is very moist. They need very little to drink. They can die of dehydration but, depending on the species, they are very unlikely to. There are some fairly serious hobbyists who don't leave water dishes in at all, just mist the sides occasionally and stuff.

I have only seen T's drink a few times, usually right after a molt. They do it when you are not looking at night and stuff and then go back to where they were so you think nothing happened.

If there's a water dish in there and it has water in it, your T will not dehydrate. No need to stress about it. They don't have constant needs for nourishment the way mammals do.

And the poster just before me is correct, BTW, spiderlings molt much more often, so that could absolutely be the reason. Not that a spider needs a reason to not drink...