More roach questions -- housing

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First off, thanks to everyone who responded to the food thread!! I'll give the suggestions at the end a try first.

Now, I have no idea where I saw it this weekend, but I followed links to a pic of a garbage pail which was claimed to hold thousands, looked like a good setup, also would take up a lot less floor space. The question is, any ideas on how to keep the roaches at the proper temp (around 90F or so) with this setup? Electric heat pads again, adjusting the pad to bucket space till the temps are about right?

Thanks
:)

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What you're saying sounds about right, but I have to suggest that perhaps you'd get a better response over in the insects forum section. Might get you more accurate results :)

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Bryn,

Your forum switch makes sense. (I just wish I could remember where I saw that pic!) Anyway, would I get busted for double-posting if I asked the same thing over there?

Thanks

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you could just message one of the online mods and ask for it to be moved :)

When you first log into the forums it lists who's online way down at the bottom of the page. it's the one's in bold listed in the 'currently active'

jmiller

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am sure your trash can idea would work just fine. You would just have to experiment on the heating. I think if you heated the bottom of the can the heat would rise keeping the bin warm but also giving you a vertical temperature differential.

I have seen this setup talked about before as well.

I personally would not like this set up. Having a deep container would as you say free up some floor space but how are you going to feed and water them? You would have to reach way down there to the floor or have an elevated feed and water station which would pose some other issue like spillage etc. What are you going to use for climbing surface? I'm not knocking your idea I am just thinking about how all this would work.

If floor space is an issue I would rather use the standard Rubbermaid/Sterelite container but have side ventilation and stack them up vertically. You could hold thousands with this set up as well in one stack of 3 or 4.

Just a thought.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree totally with all your arguments/concerns -- and I'm certainly not in love with the idea or anything like that! Just seemed like a new, interesting approach, and I wanted to see whether anyone had tried it and what their experience with it was. If anyone had said, for instance, "I'll never go back to the old way!", it might have been worth investigating.

:?