Possible foods for tarantulas

Firedrake15

Arachnopeon
I feed my babies small crickets, live, crush the head and drop it in. My little G. Rosea runs away. My dad has to take care of them for the two weeks I'm gone, and wonders if they would like dried crickets. My freind is breeding feeder guppies and hissing cockroaches. What else is in the diet of tarantulas? :?

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A tarantula will most likely ignore a dried cricket. If you are feeding slings, then I would stick to pinheads (crickets) and roaches.

F3lix

Arachnopeon
If you're only gone for 2 weeks, just feed it right before you leave and don't worry about it. Hell, it's a Rosea, you could travel for a year and probably not have to worry about feeding it.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
all the tarantulas i have kept would take prekilled crickets... i don't know about dried crickets, though

and unless it is VEEERY hot where you live you can just feed your G. rosea before you leave and then when you get back. i only feed my little rosea slings every couple-few months :)

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think the greater concern would be moisture for the slings.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Almost all tarantulas accept pre-killed food when they are slings. dead crickets, or even cricket's leg will do fine.

sntcruzan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have fed my tiny slings live pinhead crickets and have never had a problem