funnel web AZ

azgrower12

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
do any of you guys know what kind of spider this could be i live here in phoenix AZ
sorry about the bad pictures ill try to get better ones tomorrow but the spider is about .5 to .75 inches long and solid black

the web it lives on

the spider with male blata lateralis prey

its face even though you cant see any thing

i tried searching it cant find anything on a black spider like that if anything a black house spider but they say there only in Australia?

any guess ?:?

Bjoern Elksnat

Arachnosquire
Hi mate!

Looks etremely like Kukulcania species, can see this at the shape of the tarsi.

They are harmless, an not really funnelwebs.

LG Björni

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
maybe, but it's still pretty hard to see from these pics. if you want a good positive ID, clearer pics are gonna be a must.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While I really can't see the spider due to the poor-quality photos, I can see enough of the web to tell that it was made by one of the Filistid spiders, the most common of which are those in the Kukulcania genus. While one species is called "Southern Black House Spider", along with many other common names, they are NOT related to the Black House Spider of Australia, nor to any Funnel Web species(true Funnel Web Spiders are Mygalamorphs, related to tarantulas). This is why common names of animals can be so confusing. These spiders are harmless. I actually keep several in captive enclosures and have countless others living "free-range" in the house and on the property.

pitbulllady

azgrower12

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks so much for the help and sorry about the bad quality photos.
it is a Kukulcania arizonica