Rose Hair?

Vampire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I'm looking at buying another T....I saw one labled a Grammastola Cola....is this a chilean rose hair? I haven't heard of it....anyway, are these good Ts.....are they docile? can you handle them once in a while?

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think you are referring to Grammostola cala.
I don't know exactly what is the deal with these spiders, but they are orange-like colored G. rosea's. People thought they were a different specie, but later they discovered that Grammostola cala also came from a Grammostola rosea eggsac. This tells that Grammostola cala is 'just' a colorform of Grammostola rosea.
I'm not really sure about this, but this is what I've read, and remembered :).

Dennis

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure this was the old name for a rose hair. Maybe a color variant but the same T.

Andy

Vampire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cala

Haha.....thanks must have been some bad handwriting!

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to assume you saw this T at a PETCO?? Thats the only place I've ever seen G. rosea lableled as Grammastola cola. I asked about it when I first got into the hobby too. You can't trust anything PETCO says about the inverts that they sell. I thought maybe it was a typo at my local petco but then I visited others in the extended area and neighboring states and it seems the G. cola labels are a chainwide error.

Red phase G. rosea are often labeled as G. cala and sold at a premium price by some pet shops and dealers.

Last edited:

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
I think you are referring to Grammostola cala.
I don't know exactly what is the deal with these spiders, but they are orange-like colored G. rosea's. People thought they were a different specie, but later they discovered that Grammostola cala also came from a Grammostola rosea eggsac. This tells that Grammostola cala is 'just' a colorform of Grammostola rosea.
I'm not really sure about this, but this is what I've read, and remembered :).

Dennis

this applies to avics as well? I think ppl pay alot of money for common species just because of this type of mess.

shrug-
loosey

I would never buy from petco. Thats just my opinion. Why give them a reason to keep getting stock in that they refuse to care for properly.

Vampire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G Cala

So, does everyone pretty much agree that this is probably a G Rosea? I'll try to post a pic later......anyway, it's very large & it's $14....and it's riding home with my Husband as we speak.....I just wanted to know about the personality of a G Rosea. I've never had one before.
And you're right it was at a Petco! You guys are so smart! :rolleyes:

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yup...

I'm just surprized they don't use the old common names like Chilian copper or Chilian flame. Kinda figures that they had to make multiple errors even when going to the scientific names! Definately a G.rosea at that price though.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G. rosea are a desert species and they like dry substrate.....most refuse to even walk on damp substrate. They are known to be "weird" even for tarantulas. They will go on fasts that can last weeks, months and some reports indicate even years. Here's a link to what many consider to be the "best" caresheet for G. rosea:

G. rosea CARESHEET by Stanley A. Schultz and Marguerite J. Schultz

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Many people have "psycho" rosies so its better to be safe than bit. Most rosies are reputed to be docile but as far as tarantulas go there are exceptions to every rule people try to apply to them. Its also not uncommon for a very docile one to become very defensive after a molt or vice vesa. So to answer your question, Its degree of docility(is that a real word?) depends on the individual spider you have acquired.

Vampire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rose

Man I can't wait to get home to see this beauty! I'm stuck at work till 4:30 & I'm on pins & needles!
I will make a good home for her & we'll take very good care of her. thanks for the care sheet, lots of info there!