Feeding crushed crickets to spiderlings

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I had heard that you could feed crushed crickets to spiderlings, but always decided to try any order small enough crickets feed them live. Well this last week, I was out of pinheads, so I cruched some of the slightly larger crickets and placed them in the enclosures with my B. albopilosum spiderlings.
The results: They loved them. All of the spiderlings were happy and fat. This is so much easier than chasing tiny crickets around the enclosure and counting out the right number (Have I mentioned how much I hate crickets?). Reduced the time to feed the spiderlings by over half.
Just wanted to share!
Ralph

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I could not get my B.Smithi spiderlings to eat at all. I finally put in some dead crickets. They all ate them. I think the movement scares them. I now kill everything first. Same thing goes with baby centipedes. On the other hand......my baby Haitian browns ate everything including crickets larger then them!!

Bob

Hogge2k

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by rknralf
(Have I mentioned how much I hate crickets
:D Crickets are pests!
I allways buy midsized cricks for my spiderlings, crushes their heads, rip their legs off to feed my lil' Avic and then I throw the reamaing "bodies" to my bigger slings (Blondi's) :D
...not allways in that order=D

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah, I feed my WC Aphonopelma sling dead becuase its the biggest panzie I ever met. She runs from the tinniest of crix when there on the other side of the deli cup. How do these things make it in the wild?

call me weird, but I have no problems with crickets. I mean, I think its fun raising them and I seriously dont mind the chirping at night. Hell, people at my house find it relaxing.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have never personally done this, but I do have to agree with you about pinhead crickets being a pain in the a$$.

I don't crush the crickets, but I have ripped the legs off of slightly larger ones and thrown them to my slings. It works fine and I don't have to worry about losing half the pinheads I bought.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Although I don't crush crickets simply due to the extra mess involved I have been know to hack a few of them into tiny pieces. Personally i like the small mealies for this though since they are easier to cut into even slices. So far all the sklings I have done this with have gone right after them some even pouncing on the pieces as they are dropped in.

Phil

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
pinheads are the worst!
I refuse to deal with them anymore.
I used lobster roach nymphs, and crush their heads. Works like a charm.
Alot of slings seem to be intimidated by prey. It's just easier, (and more piece of mind) to feed them dead prey.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
All I do is take some forceps, crush the heads, drop them in, and by the next day........no more crickets. Just a few legs to clean up. Way easier than mini mealworms or crickets. I finally got my L. parahybana slings to eat this way. They stuff themselves so fat this way, so hopefully i can get them to grow a bit quicker.

And yeah, pinheads are awful. You pick one up and you kill it.