Spider ID (new mommy!) egg sac- photos attached

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey everyone!
I took in this little critter not more than 2 weeks ago, lodging under my friend's backyard barbeque at Côte-Nord, Montreal. She was quite beautiful, and I had an excess of crickets at the time, so I decided to temporarily adopt her and send her on her way when she's nice and fat from gut loaded crickets.

Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning to an egg sac!

I was wondering if anyone could ID her, and more importantly give any general tips on care of a new mommy :?

Will she be disregarding food if I tried to feed her, would the crickets pose as a threat, temperature and humidity control, etc?

She's 4-4.5" in legspan.

Attachments

Last edited:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yep, vote for a dolomedes from me :D congrats, pretty cool spider!!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice!!

Gorgeous girl u have there.

If the egg sac is attached to her spinneretts, I don't see why she wouldn't take prey. Try pinhead crickets, if she doesn't prey on them, take the crickets out.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just worried that provocation might cause her to abandon her egg sac, really. individual spiders can be so unpredictable! And thanks! So far, she's being a diligent mother, still got her palps and chelicerae tightly wrapped around the silk ball :)

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the Pisauridae family, the mommies carry the sac in their fangs. Not sure if she'll pick it up again if she drops it for food.

It's the Lycosidae (wolf spiders) that attaches the sac to their spinnerets.

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@i_spy_ocelli:

If you give her food and she drops the egg sack, I do not think she will be able to pick the sack again.
Maybe give her time and do not stress her, when she is ready to leave the sack, she will receive food again.

Ricardo

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The abdomen is bent in a protective position (see first pic) but the spinnerets don't seem to actually be attached to the sac and it's the palps and chelicerae that are carrying the load.

I did a little research, and it seems that she will put down the egg sac about a day before they hatch, so I think I'll wait it out :)

Last edited: