Thinking about new scorpion

Kayv

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only have an Emperor Scorpion right now but i am thinking of getting another species, probably a tricolor. Anyone have suggestions on what i should get? I dont know many different species because im more of a tarantula person so I would be thankful if you guys helped me out here. thanks

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What are you looking for in a scorp? It would be hard to make a recommendation based on what little info you've given.

N.

Kayv

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i don't want the scorp to have a much painful sting, even though im not going to handle any of my scorps, im not that experienced with them so i dont want one thats going to try to sting me all the time. It would also be cool if the scorp isnt that small when fully grown. The tricolor looks like a cool scorpion but i would like some suggestions from you scorp people. thanks

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My suggestions would be: H. troglodytes, H. spadix/H. arizonensis, S. mesaensis is cool, but it's medium sized (~4 in.), Tricolor would be cool, uhm...Yeah, that's all I can think of right now.

N.

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think a flat rock scorpion (Hadogenes spp) would be ideal for you. Large, bulky scorpions, most of a docile nature particularly trogolodytes, will allow some handling and have a very, very mild sting. They are also very easy to keep in a dry tank.
Tricolor scorpions (I assume you are reffering to Opistophthalmus) can be quite aggressive and are known to have an extremely painful sting.

Here is my Hadogenes trogolodytes. fierce looking but very tame!

;)

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sorry to break it to you, but I don't think that is a troglodytes. It looks more like some other spp. because of the tan legs and tan(ner) mesosoma. The troglodytes has a more solid brown to the overall coloration.

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You know, I have been thinking the same thing since I got it. In the book, 'Scorpions of southern Africa' by Jonathom Leeming there is a good section on Hadogenes with lots of great photo's.
The Trogolodytes was the second picture that mostly resembled mine. The picture of H. Gunningi matched mine perfectly but this scorpion is extremely rare and comes from such a tiny area in Arica that it is unlikely. I decided it was a trogolodytes after reading the passage under that entry

" H. trogolodytes, the longets scorpion in the world has many colour variations, from black in the southern populations to brown with yellow legs in Mozambique."

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, Hadogenes does not have the longest species, Heterometrus does, as the swammerdami reaches 9.75 inches.