Latrodecta question

Zathura2

Arachnopeon
Alright, I know I'm new to the boards and ask weird questions sometimes that may sound...well, weird. Still, I'm only trying to experiment here.

Does anyone know if a jumping spider could live in a large enclosure shared with a widow. The main points would have to be that the smaller spider could traverse the widows web without really worrying about getting stuck. There's plenty of food and room for both, as long as the jumping spider stays approx. 4~5" away from the widow at all times.

If the widow did decide to go after it, I wonder if the jumping spider would be quick and agile enough to escape capture, until the widow gave up and went back to it's hole.

I may try this anyway as soon as I find a jumper, but I'm curious to know what you people might think would happen. Worst case scenario, jumper becomes a meal...

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a feeling that the jumper is going to get munched. It might accidentally jump into the web and chances are, that'll be that.

But if you're set on it, best of luck to you.

Zathura2

Arachnopeon
Well, I'd normally think that too, but it seems like the other spiders are doing fine using the main web...I didn't know if spiders just instinctively know the workings of a web, and would use only the guy-lines instead of the sticky ones.

Another poster mentioned his jumping spider had completely covered it's enclosure with webbing, but was still able to navigate...I figured it might navigate a foreign web almost as well as it would it's own. Dunno, maybe someone else has experimented with co-habitation, though I haven't seen much on it, so maybe not.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If the widow did decide to go after it, I wonder if the jumping spider would be quick and agile enough to escape capture, until the widow gave up and went back to it's hole.
Unless the enclosure is very big, where the jumper can avoid the widow's web completely, probably not. Try it and see what happens, but I think it's very possible the jumper will be killed and eaten by the widow.

spiders4life

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try it, and please tell us what happens ;) I dont think this have ever been tried before.