Molting?!

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey guys. My juvie Pandinus Imperator Izuna has been acting a bit funny lately, spending more time out of the burrow mostly. now she is out of the burrow and was or i thought she was stilting but now she is standing up and slowing straitened her tail out. not laying it on the ground or anything but sticking strait out behind her. She is also moving a bit odd like she doesn't know where she wants to move to and is very shaky while she is moving. does this sound like she will be molting? quick responses would be great cuz i want to have a camera ready for when she molts. thank a bunch Tom

(also i am sorry for starting a whole new thread for this but i was in a hurry and such)

Last edited:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you think that she is about to molt then the best thing to do is to leave her alone. make sure that the substrate is moist and she have a water dish.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i filled the water dish and misted the tank lightly. i am being very quiet in the room. and want to get pictures so i am being very watchful. but in your experience does this sound like molting behavior? this will be the first scorpion to have molted for me so i am kind of excited

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
she has now started to shake sometimes. not like a juttering kind of shake, more like shaking a ketchup bottle. one more question, does anyone know about how long it can take for a scorpion to successfully molt? are we talking an hour? or more like a few. thanks again

Tom

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
none of my scorpions molt on me yet, but if you think that it is about to molt, then poking it or disturbing it would be a bad idea.

as for my centipedes and tarantulas, when they are about to molt they become very sluggish.
I'm sure someone here might know

alexi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
she has now started to shake sometimes. not like a juttering kind of shake, more like shaking a ketchup bottle. one more question, does anyone know about how long it can take for a scorpion to successfully molt? are we talking an hour? or more like a few. thanks again

Tom
That doesn't sound like molting behavior to me. Sounds more like that wierd arachnid disorder people sometimes talk about (arachnid nervous disorder? I really don't remember). Anyway sounds wierd, I hope she does ok, but it sounds more like some kind of disease or disorder to me. Don't get super scared though, I'm no pro and could easily be wrong.

if it is molting:
typical molting behavior is to get really fat, sluggish, and unresponsive. the actual molting process, once it begins, IME takes several hours. After it finishes, leave it alone for a while so it can harden up. Once it looks like color has come back into and its moving around again you can feed it again.

d@nn

Arachnopeon
One molting, and one about to do the same...
If yours look like the one near the red cap, then is in premolt.
Hope it helps!

Attachments

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think i got all excited for no reason. she is getting ready to molt because she is putting on weight. but she was just acting funny i guess. i think it was the weird shaking thing thay made me think she was molting. well i did take a few pictures so i will post those later.

alexi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
glad to hear there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her, I was a bit worried for you

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
glad to hear there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her, I was a bit worried for you
yea, it was just a bit weird for her to out of the hide for so long. she didn't seem to be hunting and was making odd movements. i think it mat have just been the heat so she was just energetic or something. she eventually grabbed a crix that just walked into her claw. so all seems good now i think i was just over excited that would be home and able to watch her do it you know?

alexi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool. now I'm worried about my own scorp, lol. I went to check on him and he was super unresponsive. It's not molting time, unless he's been starving himself, so I was kinda concerned. He's usually so active and freaks out at anything entering his tank, but I was grabbing his tail to move him into a good photo spot and he just stood there and took it. I'm worried that either the petstore gave me some bad crix or i inadvertantly gave him some chemicals. Also I just moved him across the country. He seemed like he was doing fine, then tonight...... almost like in premolt except not fat.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool. now I'm worried about my own scorp, lol. I went to check on him and he was super unresponsive. It's not molting time, unless he's been starving himself, so I was kinda concerned. He's usually so active and freaks out at anything entering his tank, but I was grabbing his tail to move him into a good photo spot and he just stood there and took it. I'm worried that either the petstore gave me some bad crix or i inadvertantly gave him some chemicals. Also I just moved him across the country. He seemed like he was doing fine, then tonight...... almost like in premolt except not fat.
probably to much stress. let him chill for a week see if he gets better.