Good Beginner Arboreal other than Avicularia Genus? (I am not good with the search function)

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I have an empty 10 gallon that I want to section in half and get two arboreal Ts but I am a beginner and i cant get a pokie just yet. I want something a little more exciting than a Avic though and I need a cheap T.

I know I should use the search function but I am absolutely horrible with it...plus i found one thread but the only one in there that I was interested in getting right now was an OBT and I thought they were terrestrial...

Also, if you have a link, that would be great. Just not the one from xhexdx. although it is a great post with awesome links for FAQs, it is too broad, believe me, I tried...:wall:

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try genus Psalmopoeus or Tapinauchenius, IMO pokies are just flighty and nothing hard to work with if your careful.

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I would say other than avics, there are no "beginner" arboreals. Pretty much every other species is going to be fast and sometimes furious.

Probably your best best is to go with the genus Psalmopoeus. They can be pretty jumpy, but not as bad as a pokie or other arboreals. I have a P. cambridgei who is definitely one of my favorite T's. Very pretty coloring and very active, she hid a lot when I first got her but now she's always out and waiting eagerly for her next meal.

Tapinauchenius are nice too, but they are very, very fast.

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I would say other than avics, there are no "beginner" arboreals. Pretty much every other species is going to be fast and sometimes furious.

Probably your best best is to go with the genus Psalmopoeus. They can be pretty jumpy, but not as bad as a pokie or other arboreals. I have a P. cambridgei who is definitely one of my favorite T's. Very pretty coloring and very active, she hid a lot when I first got her but now she's always out and waiting eagerly for her next meal.
The picture is of your P. cambridgei right? it looks amazing either way.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had more issues with my psalms than I have my pokies. My psalms try to escape, but I've never had a pokie try to escape. I've also had my psalms give me threat poses where as my pokies have never done so. I really don't think of any other arboreals as beginners except for Avics.

If you choose to go with something other than an avic, make sure you are ready for the speed and possible attitude. Remember, a little respect goes a long way.

JasonCrowl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Beginning Arboreal

My 1st Arboreal was an Avic, and my 2nd was a P Regalis. If you are carefull and use common sense, there are no reasons why you can't purchase a Pokie....just use your head and you should be fine. I have a P Irminia, and I love her, and would highly recommend them....you should be fine, and have some confidence!!:) :)

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

cabey0201

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I absolutely love my P. irminia and want more Psalmos but in my somewhat limited experience they can be far more defensive than Pokeys. The slightest breeze will set my irminia off while I've only seen one threat posture from my P. regalis and that was with some reasonable (unintentional) aggravation. That being said, if you're not ready for old worlds then the next most "interesting" from Avics would have to be Psalmos.

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 1st Arboreal was an Avic, and my 2nd was a P Regalis. If you are carefull and use common sense, there are no reasons why you can't purchase a Pokie....just use your head and you should be fine. I have a P Irminia, and I love her, and would highly recommend them....you should be fine, and have some confidence!!:) :)
funny you should mention the P. regalis...i like the yellow underside of the legs on them...i just dont know if i sm ready to have one yet...maybe im over thinking it tho. btw, how much would a P. regalis cost?

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see adult females 4" and up anywhere from 60-100. They only get to be around 6"

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was thinking and i remember that i heard GBBs could be put in an arboreal enclosure...can GBBs be arboreal or no? I should have explained better, i need to use the tank and having two Ts in one tank would be the most cost effective way but they nust have some arboreal behavior. Also, could the same be true for the OBT? I heard that they both web a lot in arboreal enclosures but maybe i am wrong.

Please tell me if i am right or wrong.

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another species to consider is Tapinauchenius I've got a 1/2 Tapinauchenius plumipes and they are fast mind you but you can get a sling for 20-35 dollars.

They can give you a little taste of the speed some of the other abs have without the aggresion.

I also have to say other then the adventure that is unpacking my pokies I haven't really had any issues with my two P. Regalis's. Mine are slings mind you, one is 2' and one is 3' but both run to the sanctuary of there hide at the slightest disturbance.

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another species to consider is Tapinauchenius I've got a 1/2 Tapinauchenius plumipes and they are fast mind you but you can get a sling for 20-35 dollars.

They can give you a little taste of the speed some of the other abs have without the aggresion.

I also have to say other then the adventure that is unpacking my pokies I haven't really had any issues with my two P. Regalis's. Mine are slings mind you, one is 2' and one is 3' but both run to the sanctuary of there hide at the slightest disturbance.
for any T that goes in that tank, i need a 4" because it will be half of a 10 gallon so i cant get any slings...

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I honestly would not put an obt in a split tank enclosure unless you had a way to fasten both doors independantly.

Robc put his female gbb in a tarantula cage aboreal setup he did move her out to breed her though but said they could live in there just fine. Adult gbb can be pricey though. It would make a pretty nice tank though. They have great color and they webs are awesome.

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I honestly would not put an obt in a split tank enclosure unless you had a way to fasten both doors independantly.

Robc put his female gbb in a tarantula cage aboreal setup he did move her out to breed her though but said they could live in there just fine. Adult gbb can be pricey though. It would make a pretty nice tank though. They have great color and they webs are awesome.
i could probaby find a way to make the lids open separately...some hinges, super glue or hot glue, plexiglass, screws, idk i have to research all the ways to do it.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was thinking and i remember that i heard GBBs could be put in an arboreal enclosure...can GBBs be arboreal or no? I should have explained better, i need to use the tank and having two Ts in one tank would be the most cost effective way but they nust have some arboreal behavior. Also, could the same be true for the OBT? I heard that they both web a lot in arboreal enclosures but maybe i am wrong.

Please tell me if i am right or wrong.
robc put a female GBB in an arboreal enclosure. He posted a couple of vids on youtube and they are definitely worth checking out.

Also, I'm not sure what you are getting at in the second part of your post. Do you want to set up a communal tank? Just because a species is arboreal or semi-arboreal does not mean that it can be kept communally. Communal set ups is a subject that has been thoroughly debated and documented on this board, mostly with Avics and Pokies (and H. incei as well). Anybody that has tried this type of set up, feel free to chime in.

My guess is that if you put two GBBs (or OBTs) in the same tank, one T will eventually eat the other.

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
robc put a female GBB in an arboreal enclosure. He posted a couple of vids on youtube and they are definitely worth checking out.

Also, I'm not sure what you are getting at in the second part of your post. Do you want to set up a communal tank? Just because a species is arboreal or semi-arboreal does not mean that it can be kept communally. Communal set ups is a subject that has been thoroughly debated and documented on this board, mostly with Avics and Pokies (and H. incei as well). Anybody that has tried this type of set up, feel free to chime in.

My guess is that if you put two GBBs (or OBTs) in the same tank, one T will eventually eat the other.
no in the original post i say i am going to section it in half for two different setups

blix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Try genus Psalmopoeus or Tapinauchenius, IMO pokies are just flighty and nothing hard to work with if your careful.
Tapinauchenius are definitely not for beginners. Their speed equals teleportation, and they are skittish and defensive.