fastest growing T

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I bought a 1/2 inch P. irminia maybe a month ago and since then it has molted three times and is about an inch and a half now I was wondering if this is normal and if there are any other t's that grow this fast?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
ok I bought a 1/2 inch P. irminia maybe a month ago and since then it has molted three times and is about an inch and a half now I was wondering if this is normal and if there are any other t's that grow this fast?
what is "normal" in theraphosids is still largely unknown.

I would say that powerfed this species (Psalmopoeus irminia) could grow quickly.

Another species that grows extremely fast to a large size from spiderling to subadult/adult would by Lasiodora parahybana.

Peace,

Paul

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
but the thing is I didnt really powerfeed it maybe one small cricket per molt. and it grew regardless it even outgrew my usambara which really blew my mind

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with Paul on the Lasiodora parahybana. You have probably seen the pics of one of mine, 7" in under a year.

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
but the thing is I didnt really powerfeed it maybe one small cricket per molt. and it grew regardless it even outgrew my usambara which really blew my mind
Are you saying you only fed it once every molt? How often did it molt, every 2-3 weeks?

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In my many molt records I'd have to say the P. ornata and P. cambridgi grow faster than anything else. 3/4" per molt which was just about every month as a sub-adult.

Not sure on the P. irminia since I don't have one. But, my brothers grew like a weed also.

Jim B.

Tom Schumm @ bighairyspiders.com has all of his molt records and his seem to confirm what I have experienced.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
I dont know if this helps but my Psalmopoeus irminia has the following molt record and I keep it pretty much at 76F and 60-70% (at least in the cabinet). I also tend to feed it 2 large crix a week when it feeds.

Received: 2/10/03 ½”
Molt: 2/20/03 ¾"
Molt: 3/15/03 1½”
Molt: 4/22/03 2”
Molt: 5/29/03 2¼”
Molt: 7/18/03 3+

Jeff

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
But, I have yet to see a molt record for a Pampho or Xenesthis. I've always been curious to how fast these grow.

Jim B.

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
On my shelf it is the the P. regalis. I've got the parahybana and the irminia...but this regalis went from 2.5" to 6" inches in 2 months. Non of mine have been that fast.

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Palespider
But, I have yet to see a molt record for a Pampho or Xenesthis. I've always been curious to how fast these grow.

Jim B.
Pretty slow. Not only are the molts pretty far apart but they don't seem to increase much after each molt.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah granted they were big crickets. but just one per molt and it molted the first week I had it, then about two weeks later, then again last night.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Inktomi
On my shelf it is the the P. regalis. I've got the parahybana and the irminia...but this regalis went from 2.5" to 6" inches in 2 months. Non of mine have been that fast.
That's really wierd. I have 4 of them and they all have grown at the same rate. A little slower than a P. cambridgi or P. ornata, about 1/2" every month as a sub.

Maybe you have a mutant :D

Jim B.

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In my exp...........

T.blondi will outgrow anything by far, in attaining size the quickest.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got a 12mm Poecilotheria Regalis on 30th October 2002. It matured at a size just under 7" on August 17th... wooo!

It was male

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by esmoot
Pretty slow. Not only are the molts pretty far apart but they don't seem to increase much after each molt.
Dude ... I don't know what you are talking about, but my Pamphobeteus sp. "platyomma" seems to increse 30-40% in size every moult. I got him as a 1" spiderling in february or something, and it is about 5" right now, I wouldn't call that slow.
Xenesthis immanis, bought about 2 months or so ago, moulted twice, and is just very big, well, leggy at least.

So I'd say I don't really agree with you on that one :).

Dennis

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: In my exp...........

Originally posted by minax
T.blondi will outgrow anything by far, in attaining size the quickest.
I don't agree and I powerfeed both of mine. As a sub they grow a good inch every molt, but it takes atleast 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 months for each molt to occur. As opposed to my P. ornata's that would grow 3/4" every month. To give you an idea, I bought two 1" ornata slings in February and they both matured a month ago.

Jim B.

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dude......My statement comes from my personal experience and from published literature. I know Marshall has said that X. immanis is a slow grower, even as slings.

Dude...........you have 2 slings or 1 sling and 1 juvie at best. Not enough to really even comment about growth rates.

I have Pamphobeteus antinous 1 adult female and 1 sub-adult female, Pamphobeteus platyomma 1 mature male and one sub-adult male, Pamphobeteus sp. Equador Red and Black sub-adult female, Pamphobeteus sp. Malacha Birdeater sub-adult female and Xenesthis immanis sub-adult male. It is not a complete collection of Pamphobeteus and Xenesthis but I think I've had them long enough to agree with others that they are slow growers.

Slings do have a faster molt cycle so when yours get a bit older things will slow down.

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Re: In my exp...........

Originally posted by Palespider
I don't agree and I powerfeed both of mine. As a sub they grow a good inch every molt, but it takes atleast 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 months for each molt to occur. As opposed to my P. ornata's that would grow 3/4" every month. To give you an idea, I bought two 1" ornata slings in February and they both matured a month ago.

Jim B.
Yea............I figured someone would disagree, but there are so many variables to consider. Temps..........genetics...........volume of food. I don't power feed, and my 2 Poecilotheria have been left in the dust by my 2 T.blondi. The Pokes are mature, in about the same amount of time as yours, but the T.blondis are only 6 months old and are just growing like crazy, documented by my records. They get such a huge carapace, and structure, at such a young age, compared to pokes, who are all legs in comparison.:)