Gromphadorhina portentosa feeding frequency

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A quick question... I have 5 hisser cockroaches (just got them a few days ago) and aside from eating some lettuce on day 1, they have not shown any interest in eating anything since. My B. discoidalis and B. dubia colonies eat like pigs! I feed them (all) high-protein roach food from Blapticadubia.com along with fruits and vegetables. I know that the hissers have a particular liking for Romaine lettuce - but they wont even eat that right now.

So.... do hissers just not eat as often?

Thanks - Jeff

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I find that my colony gets tired of a certain food (like romaine) after a few days. try switching to something different like a really ripe banana or shredded carrots. Also Mine don't get fruits and veggies every day. They get it for two or three days, then eat dog kibble the rest of the week.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say they have a slower metabolism than feeder roaches. That's why they grow and reproduce more slowly. I definitely saw them leave food for long periods of time. They are also finickeyer, so maybe what the other poster said could work. Mine always liked dry oatmeal. You might try that too.

jmiller

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just offer a variety of food and forget about it. They are not going to starve if they have food in front of them. They really do not eat all that much. With only 5 you probably will not notice the food disappearing on a daily basis. Wait a few days and it will start to disappear.

If you have access to live oak leaves they really love them.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My hissers must be freaks - they eat me out of house and home! I can throw anything in there and they decimate it in minutes. It's a giant disturbing frenzy at the bowl every time.

Observe the horror of the food bowl dash:

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Of course, 2 hours after I posted that email they started eating.....

savedtolive

Arachnopeon
Hey Jorpion, I noticed that you're also in So*Cal and was wondering where you got your hissing roaches? I'm interested but haven't found a store that carries them. I know I can buy them online, but would rather go to a store myself if possible.