rehousing Q.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What is the best substrate for a King Baboon??? I currently use Bed-a-Beast but after a few months it dries out and begins to sink. I need something that will retain moisture but not promote mold. What are the options???

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What is the best substrate for a King Baboon??? I currently use Bed-a-Beast but after a few months it dries out and begins to sink. I need something that will retain moisture but not promote mold. What are the options???
You could just add more water to your current substrate when its needed. After a few months almost anything will dry out.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Coco

I use coco (shredded coconut husk). It comes loose or in compressed bricks. A regular "brick" size is about $2.50 here at gardening (check hydroponic stores too) stores. One "brick" would fill at least one XL Kritter keeper. It is even cheaper in bales. It has nice consistency and no sharp "sticks" in it like my peat does. If you want to add to it's moisture retaining ability, or add "structure" to the substrate, I add long fibered moss'. But as last poster said, anything will dry out over months. But unless you have a T. blondi or the like, you want it too! Good luck, ryan

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Coco

Oh, sorry, forgot a couple of things. I have found coco to be very stable and it does not promote the growth of molds etc. It seems really "clean" (no bugs, pests, extra by products and what not) compared to other substrates I have used. The only bad thing about coco is that if not of High quality, it may have lots of salt in it still. I don't know how or even if this would effect tarantulas, but figure someone else may know about that. ryan

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use cocofibre nearly exclusively for my collection. I add some peat to it to increase moisture retention but, other than that, no problems ever.

Dyon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also use cocopeat it gots very nice soft structure with no sharp sticks in it like Nomadinexile said, i pay €2,50 for a regular size brick.

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use peat moss that I strain through a screened lid of a 5 gallon tank and I mix vermiculite about 50/50 and then I put it into the microwave for 5 minutes to sterilize.