NJ's Top 3 Snakes - One Amazing Day!

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been a "field herper" for more than 10 years now, both as a hobby and professionally (I'm a herpetologist by training & work for zoos & museums) and have been lucky enough to see wild reptiles in many parts of the world including the relatively few species we have here native to New Jersey.

But a couple of weeks ago, I had what could possibly be the most amazing herp day ever as a friend and I headed out to the NJ Pine Barrens looking for the "top 3" snakes to photograph. These are species which are found in a very limited range in NJ and are under alot of pressure so are individually considered rare finds. Well, you can imagine my joy when I found all three species, the fact that they were all obviously gravid females was very gratifying as well.

Some highlights:

Freshly shed female Timber rattlesnake (I found her shed before her) a NJ "Pinebrake" phase rattler to boot.

Later we found a visibly gravid female basking not far away, 2 in one day...wow. One of them is a previously unknown individual (some folks around here keep vidual ID's on this population)

A true, "Jersey Chain King" aka the Eastern Chain Kingsnake. The local population is known for a high "chain/band" count. This was my first time finding this species in NJ-relatively common elsewhere over their range but not here of course.

The highly prized Nj Northern pinesnake, in this part of its range the indivuals are obviously known for their high black and white contrast and large size.

All snakes were completely oogled and fawned over, photographed and released with lots of hope for successful births. I hope some of the poachers that frequent the barrens aren't as lucky as we are in finding these beauties.
Enjoy.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would be stoked man....those are some sweet finds for sure! :D

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
not sure if you can get the Nj pinesnake but many pinesnake species are avalible captive bred

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool stuff danny... i love that pine snake.

gotta take me with you some day.

moose

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Absolutely Tom, lemme know when you are free...but you'll have to wear a blindfold!
:)

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
damn i hate being blindfolded...

but i guess it worth it.

i'll let you know

moose

spider_mike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice to see there is still some "wild" left in Jersey besides Newark and Camden. lol

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
The first pic of the C. horridus is beautiful. With out a doubt one of the prettiest rattles on earth. It's fascintating to me that a Crotalus sp lives in the "North east". Thanks for sharing Danny!

Later, Tom

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The first pic of the C. horridus is beautiful. With out a doubt one of the prettiest rattles on earth. It's fascintating to me that a Crotalus sp lives in the "North east". Thanks for sharing Danny!

Later, Tom
Historically Tom, they had a HUGE range...when settlers arrived they were finding "vipers" or most probably Timbers all over the NY NJ area. Even on Manhattan.