Tarantula Species and Australia

rosecran

Arachnopeon
Hi,
Just wondering if there's any Australians here or anyone that can tell me if there's any Law about keeping or breeding some Tarantula species here in Australia since I can't seem to find breeders here or overseas breeders that would ship to Australia, species that I'm after such as B. smithii, T Blondii etc etc.. here they only offer Australian T, arid and forest species and Aus. bird eaters. If anyone can enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't live in Australia but I'm pretty sure they're very, VERY strict about importing other animals from... anywhere. I believe the only tarantulas you can obtain legally will be Australian species.

Correct me if I'm wrong anybody...

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that they forbid the possession of anything from abroad that might escape and become invasive, ie pretty much everything!

To keep a Brachy there, you have to be a licensed zoo!

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They hate anything not Australian unless it's a tourist with a big pocketbook. They might also hate the tourists though, according to the two I know :p

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They hate anything not Australian unless it's a tourist with a big pocketbook. They might also hate the tourists though, according to the two I know :p

They probably eat tourists. {D

Webless

Arachnopeon
Haha yeah our government is VERY strict on importing "exotic" species. You even have to get permits to EXPORT stuff.. It's retarded! haha Some of us here in Aus would LOOOVE some arboreal species as we have no native arboreal T's in Australia.. YET.. Still looking!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As Webless said, Australia is VERY strict about anything non native and they are strictly prohibited.. They are even strict with their native species. While there are people is Aus with non native T's, I would hate to get caught with them... I suggest staying away from exotics and stick to the laws...

Jace, how are those X. rubifrons doing that we went out and collected?? My favorite Aus native I saw while I was there!

JOsh

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is illegal to import foreign species to Australia, you're gona have to keep native species. Good luck ae, because Australian Tarantulas are really crazy! lol

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is illegal to import foreign species to Australia, you're gona have to keep native species. Good luck ae, because Australian Tarantulas are really crazy! lol
they are no more crazy than any other old world species.....

Akai

Arachnobaron
I imagine Australia is the perfect climate for a tarantula to become invasive since there are so many climate zones there. I do need some aussie T's though. Those whistling spiders have been calling my name for a hot minute. lol

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's funny, I was just working with some exports to Oz.

They are very restrictive about what they will allow (live) into the country.
There is a published list. If an animal is not on the list, it can't be imported. Period.

At least they are nice enough to put it on the internet so that you can find it rather easily (assuming you know to look, and then know where to look...)
You can get the list here:
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/lists/import/index.html

To cut to the chase, the only arachnids which can be imported, legally without a permit, into Australia are eleven species of mites. No spiders or scorpions.
I think it's just a lack of eduction on the part of lawmakers. There are dozens of tropcial fish on the list, many of which could become invasive and do significant damage.

You can import quite a few species of tarantulas, with a permit, but the restriction is:

"Eligible non-commercial purpose only, excluding household pets. High security facilities only.
Non-pregnant females only"

So no pets and no breeding, ...and likely no spiderlings since they can't be reliably sexed by the authorities upon import. JMO.

As an Australian, it's something you might want to look into it and see if you can change it.
Here's the link for that:
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/lists/import/amend-import.html

Good luck.

Last edited: