What do you carry when hunting scorpions

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hunt for the little guys in my back yard but I still find that it's like a juggling act when I find one. I carry tongs just in case, a small clear plastic container w/top (the kind you get Venus Fly Traps in), a flexible plastic cutting board (to slid between the wall and container), and a flash light. Plus I have multiples just in case it's a busy night, however I leave them by the door. Mine are pretty small here, but I also do have a larger container handy just in case!!!!

What do you carry when your out hunting both on your property or out in the field. Also, how do you keep it organized??

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lemme see....
Oh wait, too far up north, but I would carry....

2 blacklights w/ extra batteries (just in case)
A deli cup or w/ lid, of course.
Mah hands, or if you're a sissy, a pair of tweezers
Some boots, in case of snakes
Some Cargo pants to carry and organize the stuff
A knife, just in case ;)

and especially....

An empty stomach and a craving for shrimp :D

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Orchid you are so funny. {D Life is just one big adventure for you. I just carry my blue flashlight, my mason jar under my arm, and my tongs. A poster on here sent me some cool tongs to catch them with. The kitchen ones were too big and bulky. I don't slide them into jars or anything, I just pick them up with those. Haven't been finding any though lately. Pretty soon you won't either. What are you doing with all the ones you are catching?

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Warren, I'm a sissy...and glad to see you are not sad today. ;)

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL thanks, My promotion from arachnodemon to arachnoangel cheered me up a bit, but I'm :( because you're sad.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL! Oh, is that what curmudgeon means! I guess I better change it. I thought it just meant cranky........

I did not realize that our titles change, is that by the number of posts you make? Is there a list somewhere that shows what I will be next?

Pokemon...:razz: Oh, Aztec is a loser now......

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Orchid you are so funny. {D Life is just one big adventure for you. I just carry my blue flashlight, my mason jar under my arm, and my tongs. A poster on here sent me some cool tongs to catch them with. The kitchen ones were too big and bulky. I don't slide them into jars or anything, I just pick them up with those. Haven't been finding any though lately. Pretty soon you won't either. What are you doing with all the ones you are catching?
I haven't seen one in well over a week!! Kind of mixed about that. I'm happy, cause I don't want them around. But it was kind of exciting finding them. Now all I can find are my large fat spiders that hang out on the walls. We have a bug man now, and hope to deter them from coming into our yard. BUT, I did leave a wood pile out for them, always like to poke around it when I'm bored to {D
Other than cleaning the house, cooking and chasing the kids around it's kind of fun to look for them. My daughter just started crawling and pulling herself up these past couple of weeks, so it's important to NOT have them around!!!
And I wear boots out there when I'm looking for them, normally live in flip flops out side and don't wear shoes in the house. But one night I went out to check on my tortoise and looked down at my feet with my light and found a big fat scorpion about 10in away from me.... SO, I'll add boots to my list also!! :rolleyes:

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
........I did not realize that our titles change, is that by the number of posts you make? Is there a list somewhere that shows what I will be next?

Pokemon...:razz: Oh, Aztec is a loser now......
I believe you will be an arachnobaron next. I wa an arachnoknight once, but my ceaseless mouth (or I guess fingers) saw fit to bestow upon me the title of baron. You too can be raised to the peerage {D

And Aztek, of course this is pokemon. Real life pokemon. You know you gotta catch em all. I would too if they lived in NY. And I'd carry:
- tongs for grabbing
- Plastic jars for holding
- black-flashlights for seeing
- and maybe a cricket on a really small leash for enticing...some of those buggers out of their burrows (crickets don't respond well to training so without the leash who knows where it'd hop off to).

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My kit

This is my kit. I am currently carrying a Bike messenger bag with padded strap and waist strap to keep from swinging. I also carry a target padded camera bag which I use to hold containers. It has belt loop and that's how I wear it. Of course containers, tongs, black light (A49), RED COVERED LED headlamp. *(lamps with red filter can be turned on in dark, then turned off without loosing your night vision.) Camping stores that sell major brand headlamps often have version with red led or covers you can snap on.
Extra Batteries for Both! This is a must. Don't waist your time! :)
I wear sunglasses unless it's dark. A must. Even if you leave at night, what if you get lost, or just want to stay up all night and watch the sun rise? Bring them! I have a magnifying glass/tweezer combo 'cause me and paige like to play tag with cacti. Also shown is ww2 designed trench shovel. Sold by cold steel and slighly sharpened for that extra digging power? :wall: I carry this in case their is ever a need for a cat hole (is that right term?), I can flip stuff over, and if for some reason a rabid Mtn. lion attacks us, I have something to swing back with! (think more along the lines of rabid serial killer, I don't expect to run into either though.) What you can't see in the picture, but is probably the most important, is my 10 liter water bag. Yeah, 10 liters. That's about 3 hours of water on a texas summer day, it will last me and paige a night if we start off hydrated, and we don't wear too many clothes! If you think you need a gallon, bring two. Make it 3 and leave the extra one in the car if you have to. Seriously, I don't think there are a whole lot of things I like doing more, but it's not worth dying over. If you go to a hot area, bring EXTRA water. And the last thing, and least important, but yet very nice to have, is the camera I am taking the picture with. It is not needed to hunt them, and is a distraction sometimes. But I am very glad I have at least a couple of pics of the spots i hunt. It can help people plan their tanks, or get ideas for decoration, or just give them some more info about their buddy they can chew on. Maybe they can go online and show their friends, "my scorpion comes from close to here...." , it's nice to have some pics, but it won't help you find any more scorpions! :D Ryan

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
O.k. so I refer to pic in post, I can't get it loaded right now, but you got desc. anyway. :)

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Orchid - Just follow what Nomadinexile does and you should be fine running around your backyard. {D {D {D

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
comfortable shoes, a backpack with extra batteries and collection cups, my blacklight, forceps, a large sturdy knife, water, a mini first aid kit, occasionally a sherpa lol and i never go out alone since i dont have them living in my house its a bit of a drive to find them for me so its best to have someone else there in case of emergency. if you are just walking around the house, why not just get a little wagon and put some jars in it and you can wheel it around behind you.

John

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Orchid, you may also want to consider night-time goggles and a taser (set to "stun" of course). I think if you get a big enough wagon you could fit everything into it. :D Oh shucks, Nomad already mentioned the night goggles.
p.s. Nomad, I love your enthusiasm and attention to detail. :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I could probably use an MRI machine, are they making those portable yet? :D

Orchid, you may also want to consider night-time goggles and a taser (set to "stun" of course). I think if you get a big enough wagon you could fit everything into it. :D Oh shucks, Nomad already mentioned the night goggles.
p.s. Nomad, I love your enthusiasm and attention to detail. :)

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow Ryan! Keeping stocked up :)
I carry my knife in case of an emergency, Large Tongs, Small Tweezers, Two Jars, sturdy shoes in case of snakes or feisty animals, a hat! My water bottle, of course the camera and thats about it.
Oh! Forgot to add that I also carry a flashlight, and a headlamp, which switches from red to regular light, and my dog!
Always bringing my dog everywhere, she stays clear of the spiders and scorps, and alerts me when anything dangerous is near. Like that darn doberman dog!