First Aid for a Tarantula

jakethegamer

Arachnopeon
My roommates girlfriend dropped my tarantula and damaged several of it's legs, Will they heal in time or can I do something to help her. I have only had her for about 2 months and this happened. She is a Chilean Rose and not too old according to the store where I purchased her at. Do you know what I can do?

~ Jake

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
You need to use the search feature and look up ICU, as you need to put the T in one asap. It basically is a clean deli cup with wet paper towels setting on the bottom. Put the T on top and set it somewhere warm and where it won't be disturbed very often.
She may have some internal injuries also seeing as several legs were damaged. I hope she makes it

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO/E
try to make sure that the wet paper towels are room temp or higher, thats just coming from a human aspect of it, wouldnt want to be shoved into a cold damp place, warm damp place, thats a different story....and thread. Also, sorry to hear about the t and good luck.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No offence guys, but putting a spider in an overly humid environment and making it hot is not going to cauterise a leg that is leaking haemolymph.

What's putting it in a moist environment going to do? Apart from encourage parasites and annoy the tarantula
Grammostola rosea hates humidity, they are an extremely "dry" species. :?

Jake.

1) How many legs are damaged?

2) How badly are they damaged? Are they "leaking" haemolypmph? Haemolymph is "spider blood", a bluey white fluid.
Tarantulas lack the ability to clot this effectively - leaks do not tend to just heal like in humans, if they are reasonably bad ones they will need help before the spider becomes very weak or eventually bleeds to death. Talcum powder, dust, "nu-skin" and various other products can be applied to seal the wound

3) Are any legs broken (snapped) or extremely badly damaged? If so they will need to be removed. This is not a pleasant thing to do, but sometimes it is essential. Grasp the femur tightly and pinch lightly whilst pulling down gently. The leg should "pop" off and a self-sealing valve at the trochanter will stop the leak.

Good luck.

jakethegamer

Arachnopeon
Ok my T seems to be doing better but she does have two damaged legs that she refuses to use. Both are the front two on her left side. One she seems to be able to move around but the other is at a bad angle and she does not use it. She is not draining Haemolymph at all but it still makes me nervous. She was eating recently so she is not close to a molt but still let me know what you think.

Thanks

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You might just want to keep it in the cage its in and not feed it for a week or two, try and see if it "hardens" up a little enough to use them, I have a five legged pinktoe right now that I got at a show for two bucks, its doing fine, just waiting for a molt.

but thats just my opinion.....;P

noboyscout

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As long as you G. rosea is eating I wouldn't worry too much. For right now it's seems to be just favoring it's injured legs. Either they will clot and heal or if their injury is that bad they will fall off. The main thing is that your T is strong enough to receive food. I suggest letting nature take it's course and just keeping a watch full eye.;)

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh dear - breaks my heart to read a thread like this. Don't wish to seem unsympathetic - its awful what happened to your T, but the lesson here is surely, don't handle it, or let anyone else handle it. And why not - for exactly the reason your post is about. I'm really sorry to have to point this out - but facts need to be faced - it is your fault its like this, and we can all learn from the mistake. If we don't handle T's, we can't injure them.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cerbera said:
Oh dear - breaks my heart to read a thread like this. Don't wish to seem unsympathetic - its awful what happened to your T, but the lesson here is surely, don't handle it, or let anyone else handle it. And why not - for exactly the reason your post is about. I'm really sorry to have to point this out - but facts need to be faced - it is your fault its like this, and we can all learn from the mistake. If we don't handle T's, we can't injure them.
did you know that was posted 10-04-03 ?

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did look briefly at the date - too briefly to notice, it would seem... more sleep needed, I think :) Still - time wise or not, the point remains the same, and i believe it should be there anyway...

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cerbera said:
I did look briefly at the date - too briefly to notice, it would seem... more sleep needed, I think :) Still - time wise or not, the point remains the same, and i believe it should be there anyway...
yes it is a very valid point and i comepletely agree with you. We very rarely handle our T's

trotskiii

Arachnopeon
My Curly hair T has fallen

My curly hair T. took a fall in her vervarium. about 12inchs really not high.
but she landed upside down. and she turned herself over very quickly.
she must have give herself a bit of a fright.
iam hoping nothings wrong. BUT. ive been watching her.
and since the fall ive noticed she has been drumbing 3 of her legs.
if you understand. i thought maybe this is a trick they use to get the crickets to come out of hiding or something.
i dont know. am new to owning Ts. But ive noticed she keeps lifting 3 legs up and down all 3 at different times like if you was taping the desk with 3 of your fingers. then ive noticed her rubbing 2 of her legs together.
the same legs that she seems to drum and tap with.
never seen her do that before an i am just concerned.
because when i looked at one of the legs she was lifting up high. when the leg was at its highest point in the air.
the legged looked to bend a little. an it didnt look normal.
i gently got her to walk around a little. an she looked ok. she walks with it.
but one of the legs did look a lilttle bent as she lifted it high up.
sometimes it looked to drag just a little bit, but it may just be my eyes.
can anyone give me any advice please. Thanks.
Is theree any behaviour where Tss like to rub there legs together its the first 3 legs not the last back one. maybe its just something they do. but i am new so not sure about it. Thanks.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
My curly hair T. took a fall in her vervarium. about 12inchs really not high.
but she landed upside down. and she turned herself over very quickly.
she must have give herself a bit of a fright.
iam hoping nothings wrong. BUT. ive been watching her.
and since the fall ive noticed she has been drumbing 3 of her legs.
if you understand. i thought maybe this is a trick they use to get the crickets to come out of hiding or something.
i dont know. am new to owning Ts. But ive noticed she keeps lifting 3 legs up and down all 3 at different times like if you was taping the desk with 3 of your fingers. then ive noticed her rubbing 2 of her legs together.
the same legs that she seems to drum and tap with.
never seen her do that before an i am just concerned.
because when i looked at one of the legs she was lifting up high. when the leg was at its highest point in the air.
the legged looked to bend a little. an it didnt look normal.
i gently got her to walk around a little. an she looked ok. she walks with it.
but one of the legs did look a lilttle bent as she lifted it high up.
sometimes it looked to drag just a little bit, but it may just be my eyes.
can anyone give me any advice please. Thanks.
Is theree any behaviour where Tss like to rub there legs together its the first 3 legs not the last back one. maybe its just something they do. but i am new so not sure about it. Thanks.
If she HAD injured a leg, She would have essentially dropped it as t's can regenerate limbs.

It sounds as though she was cleaning her legs though- Was she rubbing them near her pedipalp(fang area)? And when did the fall happen?

If there's no sign of rupture anywhere, I think your T is fine. The fall could have stressed it out, so I would let it be for a day or two. Any chance you could post a picture of the "dragging leg"?

-Anita

nhandms

Arachnopeon
Today we bought a t blondi, about 6 and a half inches, from a local store. It's a rare find around here so we figured we would go snatched it before someone else did. I have other tarantulas and spiders and have never had an issue like this. We arrived and saw him. He was perfect. The enclosure was very wet and tiny for a t his size. We took a look and saw he had a crack on the right top side of his carapace. We love ts and figured it was just a scar. We got the owner to call the guy he bought it from and asked him a few questions. We don't know if he's male or female, wild or captive bred. They seemed nice and honest about everything and promised nothing was wrong and it was a scar. They claimed he molted like that and they've had him 2 months. Well we got him home and noticed the crack was leaking. He also has a small crack on the left and two black spots behind his eyes. The ones behind the eyes are also leaking. So. What is happening? We put him in his new enclosure and accidently spooked him somehow so he ran all over and guess what. Lots of bleeding. He's killing himself! He finally climbed against the wall in the terrarium and we decided it was safe to take action. We took a paintbrush with cornstarch on it and rubbed it onto his wounds. As of now it's stopped bleeding and he's slowly starting to walk around. What else should I do? And will this be a continuing problem? I've read that it could be... Any suggestions would be great! Thank you.

---------- Post added 10-29-2014 at 07:28 PM ----------