Eucratoscelus pachypus / longiceps?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hey guys, what have I got here? I know the pic has some dirt on it, but iirc, something to do with which segments of the rear legs were thick was how you told the two sp. apart? (so I had to move him around a bit to get a good shot of one of leg IV) From pictures I've seen alone, I'm guessing E. pachypus. It is about 2.5 inches now, and I know pachypus is 'Dwarf Stoutleg'... how dwarf is dwarf, exactly?

Bill

Attachments

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i would go with the pachypus on this one. IIRC, someone said that the two species are so closely related that they are just color morphed and should be synonomized. but dont take my word on that one....

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I remember hearing they were to be synonimised as well. yours looks exactly like mine, which i bought as E. pachypus. id post a pic, but the ones i have of it are typical of my pictures. dark and blurry.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, after some research, it appears by a description Ol' Von Wirth had up on tarantula-project.org, it's pretty much a pacyhpus. I did a few measurements, and the dead give away, like I was thinking, is the metatarsus being thicker, instead of just the tibia being thicker (on leg IV)

At any rate, I couldn't help myself.. I love this thing.

Bill

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice pic Bill. I would guess pachypus also, it looks like the one I had, sold to me as pachypus.

Andy