Pet vs. Hobby

lilmoonrabbit

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi guys,

I don't post on here much, because I have yet to actually own a tarantula. I have been interested in them for years, but my hubby won't let me get any until we buy a house. But, I read on here almost every day, trying to learn everything I can.

Sorry if this has already been asked. I did a search and couldn't find anything like it.

Do you think of your spiders more like pets, or more of a hobby? I feel like I have seen both ends of the spectrum on here:

There are people that give their spiders names, talk about their "moods" and "personalities", and like to handle them and spend time with them like one would with a cat or a dog.

And then there are people on here who seem to look at them more scientifically- sticking to labeling them as "Grammostola Pulchripes #4" and just enjoying being able to document such a unique and beautiful animal.

What's your preference? Did you maybe start on one end of the spectrum, and evolve over time? Are you mostly into the science of it, but maybe there's that one "special" spider that you find yourself attached to? I guess I am just curious about how some people go about handling their emotions in this hobby, and whether or not it's wise to curb one's emotional attachment to the specimens.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

MrRogers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For me I like them as "pets" more or less. I've had one spider in my time and I treated it's enclosure as I did and aquarium... it was there for display to look attractive in the room as well as display the spider (when it was out anyway). I like enclosures that are out in the open, to be used as converation peices but also reflects the proper environment for the spider.

Some people like to be a little closer to their Ts and interact with them by handling them, letting them "play outside" etc. Assuming it's done responsibly it's a neat way to connect with something like you would another animal, except the spider stands to lose by being stressed or injured unless proper care is taken.

You'l hear some great reasons why people love their tarantulas, but for me it's the joy of observing such an interesting, beautiful type of animal with so much that can be learned about it.

CarsinemiA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd have to say it's more of a hobby that as "pets". But I also think this is entirely personal and some people will have conflicting opinions. Don't get me wrong, I love all my T's, but giving your OBT a nice, warm, cuddly hug is somewhat out of the question.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
lilmoonrabbit,

Why wait for a house, T's aren't like dogs. They are most often kept in enclosures that are smaller than a shoe box.

But any way, back to your question. For me it is a healthy "realistic" view off what my "pets" are. They do not have emotions like the typical mammalian pet, and I think it is psychotic for owners to place them in that category. Still that doesn't make them less of a "pet", but it does make that "pet" more of a hobby/collection than the typical cat/dog/bird. So I guess by the emotional "my T 'loves' _____", etc., I would be what you call a hobbyist/collector.

Cheers, now go out and get your first T!

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to say both. Pets becasue of them being livign and you have to care for them and their unique personalities, but i would say its a hobby becasue you collect something and are trying to build a collection and like coins or whatever, usually you want the rarest and best looking.

MutedUziel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pets for me. I have named all of mine (5 T's and 5 Scorps in 3 months) I enjoy watching them and learning what makes them happy. I don't handle very often :( since it stresses them out. It's about them not me is how i see it.

spiders4life

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Defenately hobby, I see no reason handeling my spiders, unless its strictly nessesary, all of my handeling photos I´ve posted (perhaps 5-7) are taken when, I had to clean a tank, or I unpacked it after arrival. I keep spiders becauce i find their natural behavior interresting, and theres nothing natural for a spider to be handeled. But on the other hand Im not the scientifficly type who keeps records of molt, feeding and growth rate neighter (with more than 1000 animals, I havent got the room for journals of each animal + the animals :( )

Naming my spiders are easy, scientifffic names, and if i know- when they were hatched.

I have refused to sell spiders to people, who came with the intentions of buying a "petspider" (or sold them a S calceata :evil:), and will do it again. As said often before "do you take out your fish from their tank to pet them aswell??"

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think a pet would really be anyhting you have to take care of. You can have a pet fish yet you dont hold it so you dont nessisarily need to interact with it. The hooby part imo is basically just collecting with intentions of getting an impressive collection full of pieces both you and others would be impresssed by.

lilmoonrabbit

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lilmoonrabbit,

Why wait for a house, T's aren't like dogs. They are most often kept in enclosures that are smaller than a shoe box.

Cheers, now go out and get your first T!
Haha, Travis, trust me, I have tried that angle many times. I have showed my husband pics of little slings, arguing that they can be kept in vials.

I honestly think he believes that my interest is a phase, and he keeps saying "wait until we have a house" in the hopes that I'll "grow out of it" by then. He fully admits that they creep him out, and I think he feels that if I don't "grow out of it", when we buy a house, I can put my spiders in their own room and he'll never have to look at them that way. While it's frustrating to me that he doesn't seem willing to compromise (I mean, really... a sling is cheap and easy to hide), he did let me get a dog and a cat (he had never had pets growing up, and didn't seem to really want any), and I have to try and be fair. It's okay... I'll have years of learning about all the species under my belt by the time a house comes. Then I'll be able to grow my collection quickly and I won't be one of those noobs on here going "I am getting my first tarantula today. What does it eat? Does it need water? etc. etc." :)

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
over 10 T's, then its a hobby IMO.
Lol, I wouldn't say it is that black and white, I have almost 30 and I wouldn't really call it a hobby. They are my pets, I don't hold them, but watching them is a form of interaction...so I guess that counts.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha, Travis, trust me, I have tried that angle many times. I have showed my husband pics of little slings, arguing that they can be kept in vials.

I honestly think he believes that my interest is a phase, and he keeps saying "wait until we have a house" in the hopes that I'll "grow out of it" by then. He fully admits that they creep him out, and I think he feels that if I don't "grow out of it", when we buy a house, I can put my spiders in their own room and he'll never have to look at them that way. While it's frustrating to me that he doesn't seem willing to compromise (I mean, really... a sling is cheap and easy to hide), he did let me get a dog and a cat (he had never had pets growing up, and didn't seem to really want any), and I have to try and be fair. It's okay... I'll have years of learning about all the species under my belt by the time a house comes. Then I'll be able to grow my collection quickly and I won't be one of those noobs on here going "I am getting my first tarantula today. What does it eat? Does it need water? etc. etc." :)
The great thing about this hobby is t's dont make noise, dont smell, quiet,cheap as slings, entire collections can be housed on a single shelf or two, wont kill you. I would just push the idea of something that looks cool like a smithi (get a juvie at least of a slow growing species) which is a classic. It wont really even hurt if you are bit (unlikly) and they arnt bad for handling. Try telling him you would double cage it or something. I used to keep all my sling in a 15 gal with screen lid so it basically kept them safe from being knocked over... and it ensured if somehow they got out of their vial they would still be in the 15g.

I would keep pushing for them now as they arnt liek an aquarium or anything like that thats difficult to move. You can move some 5 gals pretty easily and probably wouldnt even need to empty them (just take the t out for safty)

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I must also say "Both"

When I get new spiders, I am much more unattached, or when I have 160 slings from a sac.

But if a spider has grown up on my spider room, under my care, I do feel a little connected to that animal, more sentimental than anything else.

I had a G. rosea in my care for 8yrs, and lost her to old age I presume.
I was more depressed than I thought I would be.

rarity or $$ value of the spider has little to do with it.

Good question BTW

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I must also say "Both"

When I get new spiders, I am much more unattached, or when I have 160 slings from a sac.

But if a spider has grown up on my spider room, under my care, I do feel a little connected to that animal, more sentimental than anything else.

I had a G. rosea in my care for 8yrs, and lost her to old age I presume.
I was more depressed than I thought I would be.

rarity or $$ value of the spider has little to do with it.

Good question BTW
As I was reading through this thread, I was thinking, "Hobby, hobby hobby!"

Your post actually makes a lot of sense though, so now I have to agree with you and say both. For the most part, it's a hobby, but there are a few spiders I would say hold more sentimental value for me.

--Joe

lilmoonrabbit

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The great thing about this hobby is t's dont make noise, dont smell, quiet,cheap as slings, entire collections can be housed on a single shelf or two, wont kill you. I would just push the idea of something that looks cool like a smithi (get a juvie at least of a slow growing species) which is a classic. It wont really even hurt if you are bit (unlikly) and they arnt bad for handling. Try telling him you would double cage it or something. I used to keep all my sling in a 15 gal with screen lid so it basically kept them safe from being knocked over... and it ensured if somehow they got out of their vial they would still be in the 15g.

I would keep pushing for them now as they arnt liek an aquarium or anything like that thats difficult to move. You can move some 5 gals pretty easily and probably wouldnt even need to empty them (just take the t out for safty)
Don't worry, I haven't given up completely. And, I know what I have said to him has stuck somewhat. Sometimes, I'll show him a cool pic from one of the picture threads, and he'll be like "Oh, is that a Grammostola Pulchripes?" (which is the first T that I hope to own.) The fact that he's actually picked up a couple scientific names is a good sign, lol. And yeah, a smithi is a close second for me, so it would also be a good starter T. My husband can definitely appreciate their beauty... I have showed him pics of A. versicolor slings and P. Metalica adults and both times he was like "Oh wow, that is really cool." I just think it's the idea of actually having them in our place that worries him :)

The double caging is actually a really good idea. I already know where I could keep them in the apartment... we have a 2 bedroom place, and we are using the other bedroom as a dining room and a place for me to keep my houseplants. The cat tries to eat the houseplants, so she's not allowed in that room. It would be a safe place for the T's to stay.

I am hoping to wear him down slowly, without getting to the point of annoying him. It's a fine line I travel, haha.

And thanks, everyone, for weighing in. It's nice to see the range of opinions. I think I agree that it is probably both, because it's a collection, but you also raise and care for them.

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Both for me, and almost equally.

Some of my spiders (maybe 5 or 6 of them out of over 100) have names and will be with me forever, no matter what. They are definitely pets, and my heart would just break if they died. I talk to them (yeah, yeah) and tell people that they are my favorites.

However, I am a very scientifically inclined person, and I have this persistent urge to document molts, observe behavior, and attempt to nurse badly damaged spiders to health through hand-feeding and other special care. I use scientific names over 90% of the time and I am driven to learn as much as I can. This part, to me, is the hobby.

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It really depends on how carried away you get with it..If you have more self control over yourself (unlike many people on here) you would be able to consider it a Pet and just have a tarantula as a pet..But I belive it becomes an Hobby as soon as it becomes an addiction..When you find yourself buying more and more I belive it becomes a hobby. I have a friend who has had the same one rosie for 10 years and never bought another one and considered it her pet! so I would say it has everything to do with self control

lilmoonrabbit

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Both for me, and almost equally.

Some of my spiders (maybe 5 or 6 of them out of over 100) have names and will be with me forever, no matter what. They are definitely pets, and my heart would just break if they died. I talk to them (yeah, yeah) and tell people that they are my favorites.

However, I am a very scientifically inclined person, and I have this persistent urge to document molts, observe behavior, and attempt to nurse badly damaged spiders to health through hand-feeding and other special care. I use scientific names over 90% of the time and I am driven to learn as much as I can. This part, to me, is the hobby.
Katy,

This is exactly how I imagine I will be someday (hopefully). I'll have my spider room, with my collection, and I'll look at them more like living ornaments... but there will probably be that handful (probably the ones I raise from slings or the ones I start with) that will be my "babies" :)

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm new to it and have only been keeping T's for nearly 6 months now, but I say it's both.

My first sling was a valentine's day present, and a chaco golden knee. I hold it, love it. But now that I have 16, I guess it's becoming more of a hobby than a pet thing.

Originally I wanted to keep T's because they lived longer than rats, and after keeping rats as pets for 15 years, it gets depressing having to go through hundreds of dollars in tumor removal, vet visits, only for them to die every 2-3 years. I'd rather have something that requires little care, little cash for upkeepk, and lives forever.

Granted they just cannot compare to a mammal pet. They don't give licky kisses, or come when called by name like rats do, but at least they're pretty to look at and make for great conversations. Plus if you're like me, I have an obsession with cages and terrariums, so when the slings are older, they're going to be amazing display pets. Although I DO know it'll mostly be the terrarium that's the display, as the T will probably hide the entire time.