How Long for 2nd instar H Longimanus to start eating?

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

Had an H. Longimanus give birth and die on me while 1st instars were still on her back. Left them alone until mommy stunk to high heaven then I had to toss her. so now I've got 7 1st instar babies in spearated out deli cups (not much to do but wait for them) and a 2nd instar in its own cup (it already molted before I tossed dead mommy). Did the searches, read the posts, got most of the info. How long before that 2nd instar gets hardened enough to start eating? It's currently in it's own moist deli cup with minimal ventilation and a moist paper towel as it's substrate (same for the 1st instars).

Thanks!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would give them a week. In a normal situation the babies would spend some time with there mothers after they reach 2i. It depends so much on the species. I've seen Centruroides gracilis of and eating in 6 days from birth. Some of my native species have taken 6 weeks. I don't know the genus. I got my first pandinus a few days ago.What I would reconmed is feeding a pre-killed food item. Leave it over nigt and see if it's gone in the morning.

John

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sounds like you are taking the care of the 1st instars in a good way. I remember an old post about it, I think they kept them on moist paper towel in a covered deli(?)

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I got some advice from Abyss on the DL and he helped me save 7 out of 10 1st instars that were on their own early on (about 3 or 4 days from birth when the mommy died). Now I have all 7 of the 2nd instars in a small critter keeper (about 3'' x 6''...normally used for crickets) with 1 large hide that they can all easily fit in and 2 smaller hides. I figure that's enough for a communal species like this. If anyone thinks/knows this is not enough space for them please let me know...as small as they are it seems like it's large enough. and it's cool cause I can keep them in the same conidtions as the larger scorps without getting any new equipment (tank within a tank :) )

Just waiting until these babies can start eating.