requesting help - pokie slings

MorganD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Two 1" P. Fasciata will be joining me in my humble abode shortly, and I just have a little hesitation settling on some solid information.

Using the search, I found a few threads on keeping pokie slings. (these will be my first poecilotheria) Some people suggest no water dish, consistant mist on atleast one side of the container, some say water dish AND mist occasionally. some say high airflow/ventilation, some say not so much - keep that humidity up.

Are the Poecilotheria particularily difficult to maintain as slings?

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For an animal that has survived for thousands of years people sure like to make it complicated on how to keep them huh?

How large are the specimens that your getting? I personally don't give my Ts a water dish (milk jug cap (approx. 1" in diameter)) until they are at least 2x that size to give you an idea. Slings get a lot of their water intake from prey items. Just ensure that the feeders are well hydrated, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Ventilation helps prevent mold and stale air in the container/enclosure. Mold can kill a Tarantula, therefore it's a good idea to have some ventilation.

I know slings can cost quite a bit sometimes, but don't stress over it too too much.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As with nearly all species, slings are more demanding and require more care than their juvie and adult counterparts.

I keep my Poecilotherias in tall snap lid containers I picked up at the dollar store. These are airtight so I've drilled about 8 holes in the top. I keep the substrate (about 1.5"-2" of coco-fibre/peat mixture in a 5" tall container) slightly damp putting the RH in the enclosure at around 75-85%. I've drilled holes in the sides of these containers in the past for some cross ventilation but haven't done this for a while and have had no problems at all.

Duke is right though. Mold is not a problem you want. If you see any growing in your enclosures, you will want to remove the mold (or replace the substrate completely and clean the enclosure to remove any spores that may be present) and increase ventilation.

Last edited:

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I keep my pokie slings pretty dry, actually. I mist once a week and they're fine. There's no need to keep the substrate constantly moist.