eastern diamondback.

blackcadillac70

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a young eastern d'back that's bout 3.5 to 4ft. eats rats very well live that is. i have been trying to convert it to young chicken house chickens cause they are free.it wont touch them.reckon it will ever change over.my burmese only will eat chickens.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What. How dare you post a DB thread and no pic. LOL. I love these guys. Don't have any (saftey concern) but they are very impresive. Congrats and be safe.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't have any experience with EDBs but something I would try is to get the snake eating fresh, pre-killed rats then move to chickens. May take a while but it's worth it and may make the switch to chickens a bit easier. If you can get him on PK rats try freezing a chicken in a container with a rat or two to scent the bird. Probably lots of tease feeding involved. Use long tongs and don't get bored/distracted/complacent during the process. Good luck and I agree with the other poster: We need some pics. :)

blackcadillac70

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks .. and yes i will try to get some pics. cause this is a very nice looking eastern.

Uehling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a WDB and he was a real pain in the ass to get to eat. This is what I had to do for a few months when he was young. Lizards are their natural prey in the wild so we had to go to the local reptile shop and collect lizard poo and smear it all over the rat so the rat smelled like a lizard. Worked great.
You might want to try collecting rat poo and smearing in on the chicken so the chicken smells like the rat.