Behavior question

squirrels

Arachnopeon
Hi all,
I have a question about some recent behavior changes with my 2 T's, I will describe the enclosure set up as well. Ok over the last week both T's, Aphonopelma New River and my G.Rosea have been spending about 75% at thier water dishes, the G.rosea sits/lays next to her bowl and the new river either lays/sits next to it or is on the wall next to it. Both are usually all over their tanks....but now its water bowl and occassionally the hide.

The New Rivers enclosure is a large critter keeper(plastic), water bowl and hide, the G.Rosea is in a 10 gallon glass tank, water bowl,hide and plastic plant.

Both use Eco Earth coco fibre, both have temp/humid gauges.

G. Rosea's tank is usually between 75-80 temp. and humidity between 70-75%

New River's tank is also between 75-80 temp, humidity not sure since the gauge says 40 (Ithink its broken)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

squirrels

Arachnopeon
so no one else have experianced this or no clue what could cause them to do this?

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You mentioned that they used to be anywhere around their enclosures correct? In that case, are they new enclosures for each T? They may just be choosing that as their primary "stomping ground". Both my roseas rarely leave the part of their enclosure that they normally occupy.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If they are hanging around their water dishes; they are likely about to molt. 'Tis the season. The levels of humidity are way too high in general for these Genuses, though.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Normal behavior is for them to more or less sit there like bumps on a log. Perhaps their earlier behavior was just them investigating and getting used to their tanks. It's also possible they were somewhat aggravated by substrate being more damp than they prefer. You cited a high humidity % for the G rosea. Both of these species like it fairly dry with the only real moisture coming from the water bowl.

It doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

squirrels

Arachnopeon
each have been in their enclosures for about 2 months, I check often to see if the subtrate is damp or moist and it seems very dry. I checked with the breeder where I bought both and said the New River is from Arizona, and with the monsoon seasons they are used to the humidity this time a year.

Both are eating regular, maybe they are approaching a molt. I will give an update to you guys :) I'm bummed if they are going to molt....I will be in training for a week in LA and kind of wanted to see their first molt in my care...oh well :(

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My G pulchra is doing exactly the same thing - this morning I found him splayed out over his water dish like a giraffe taking a drink from a pond - and he wasn't drinking, I might add - he's been acting very sluggish lately, moping about like he's lovelorn, and he hasn't been eating - his last molt was a month ago, so, as a juvenile, he's due ... I'm hoping this is what's going on, with my T AND yours! :D And God, please, for once, let me be there when it happens!:worship: