Genus Cyriopagopus (a.k.a. Haplopelma)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We've had them for Psalmopoeus, Poecilotheria and so on before now, so here's a thread for those that love Haplopelmas. This thread is for Haplopelma and Haplopelma alone!

For starters, Haplopelma schmidti - adult female.

Pajak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You took her on a lawn or something???
Or is it a foto made in nature??

B E A U T I F U L !!!!!
Very, very nice photos!!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks. Unfortunately I can only take pictures in the garden with my crappy digital camera. :(
Hopefully when I get my own place I'll have a decent pseudo-tropical environment in which to photograph my spiders with a decent SLR camera.

More pictures!

Haplopelma sp.. probably sp. "longipedum"

At last! My first "dripping venom" shot. The force she exerts on the chopstick is worrying. There are deep scratches in the plastic. Despite her relatively small size (6"), you do not want to be bitten by one of these.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Deliverme314
so did you take these outside?!
I take all my adult spiders outside for good photographs

Here is the aforeposted spider in "pre-moult" conditon.

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you can see my H. lividum (one of the most blue i've personally seen) if you search back through using the keyword Mina.... there's some very nice shots of her thanks to Kugellager...

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Ryan V
H. schmidti.....
Is that its enclosure? I assume not... but the webbing would make me think its been in there for a while...

Ryan V

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is that its enclosure? I assume not... but the webbing would make me think its been in there for a while...
No, the spider is in a temporary holding tank for quarantine purposes......the picture was taken the morning after that H. schmidti was placed into the tank......

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
Thanks. Unfortunately I can only take pictures in the garden with my crappy digital camera. :(
If you really think that camera is crappy, I'll take it off your hands. :)

Bry

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Ryan V
No, the spider is in a temporary holding tank for quarantine purposes......the picture was taken the morning after that H. schmidti was placed into the tank......
btw, I like the new leg that's regenerating there :D

heteroscodra

Arachnopeon
Hmm.. I like the name of the thread, because I have 10 different species of Haplopelma :D

Ow, BTW, your longipedem is "the vietnam species" ;)

Here's one of mine ( at least it's my picture, the male itself is from Jean Michel Verdez )

Haplopelma schmidti, adult male;

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Question for all of you Haplo keepers...what kind of containers do you keep your Haplos in? I heard someone recommend a Rubbermaid cereal box, as they are deep enough to allow a deep burrow. But, they don't exactly strike me as something roomy enough horizontally should they ever decide to come out of their burrows. I have considered getting into Haplos someday, and have looked around at containers. I have seen some that work work well for Haplo slings and juvies. But, nothing seems tall and wide enough for full-grown adults. The deep cages are usually too narrow, and the wide cages, such as Kritter Keepers, seem like they're too shallow. Am I just being picky here? Let's see some pics of your Haplo enclosures, while we're on the subject.

Bry

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by heteroscodra
Ow, BTW, your longipedem is "the vietnam species" ;)
I thought it might well be. I took some pictures for Volker but they weren't good enough for him to be convinced!

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got up one morning about 5.30am,pitch dark out and i managed to catch a glimse of my H lividum coming out of her burrow,The quality isnt great but liked the way the flash caught the blue on the legs really well!

Just curious leon,you always seem to have one of your haplopelma sp. out and about,do you allow yours to burrow or how do you get them out of there burrow so often!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Sham,Tarantulas
Just curious leon,you always seem to have one of your haplopelma sp. out and about,do you allow yours to burrow or how do you get them out of there burrow so often!
I don't actually get them out very often...but when I do, I take a lot of pictures (40-60 usually)

I let them burrow, I'm just crafty about the way I do it. My studies of C fimbriatus and an experiment with H lividum showed that they actually seem to prefer digging horizontal burrows rather than vertical ones, like so:

With a bit of patience you can get a burrow that is easy to access :)